Thread: Readyloads & Static Electricity

Readyloads & Static Electricity

I processed my first TMAX Readyloads today. After taking off the metal clip from the bottom of a Readyload, I would slowly pulled out the negative. Each time, no matter how slowly I pulled, I would see flashes of static electricity. The same flashes would occur when I tore the top and bottom of the negatives at the serrated edges. My darkroom was relatively humid because water was constantly running through my Jobo. I have never seen similar flashes while unloading film holders.

I do not yet know if the flashes of electricity affected the negatives, but how could they not? Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Readyloads & Static Electricity

I don't remember ever seeing this from pulling the negative out of the envelope. I think the flash from tearing the negatives is common and doesn't hurt the film, at least it hasn't with mine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I just starting using the readyloads again. I used the old ones for years, but this the first time I have used the new once. Kind of revisiting 4x5 under limited applications.

I to have noticed the flash when removing the film from the sleeve. However, I could not find any fogging caused by the flash after processing my color negs. I was able to solve the problem by pulling them out at a much slower rate.

Hope this helps.

I get that in the winter here (very dry). I've never seen any artifacts from it on the developed film, though. It looks a lot brighter to ones dark-adjusted eyes than it really is.

John,

Nearly 30 years ago, after shooting some 35mm slide film with a motor drive (power winder) up in Banff/Lake Louise area, I found a number of frames with streaks of exposure in the processed film from static discharges which I think were from the peeling action while unrolling from the film canister spool. These streaks were certainly from the shooting conditions, not from handling for processing however it does illustrate to me that static discharges can be recorded on the film.

Since that trip (30 rolls) I have never used a motor drive since when in cold climates. Since I am guessing you are in a nice temperate (San Diego?) darkroom, I am also surprised to hear of static discharges while opening the Ready Loads. I would think that the static is generated from the sliding or separating action of the components of the film pack I am at a loss on how to avoid it or to offer an alternate path for the static discharge. Even if you wiped the packet prior to opening it with a grounded static discharge brush like the kind used on negatives, it might still end up creating an additional charge during the opening process. Maybe you might be willing to sacrifice some unshot loads and experiment with a brush or maybe working over a grounded plate or ???

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooley
    I processed my first TMAX Readyloads today. After taking off the metal clip from the bottom of a Readyload, I would slowly pulled out the negative. Each time, no matter how slowly I pulled, I would see flashes of static electricity. The same flashes would occur when I tore the top and bottom of the negatives at the serrated edges.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that certain glues exhibit piezoelectric effects. They exhibit this most strongly under tensile loading - when they fail, they release from one side and snap back to the other side. This snapping action converts the stored energy into electrical energy, resulting in tiny arcs.

The amount of enerygy transfer is very small. You probably can't see this effect outside the darkroom, and only then when you've been in the dark sufficiently long for your eyes to fully accomdate.

It is spooky. But it's not a problem unless you can see the effects on the processed film.

Bruce Watson

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that certain glues exhibit piezoelectric effects.
    The term is triboluminescense. That means they give off light when deformed. Most glues display this effect, I think it has to do with bubble collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen
    The term is triboluminescense. That means they give off light when deformed. Most glues display this effect, I think it has to do with bubble collapse?
    Yes! That's it. I stand corrected.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen
    I think you're correct Ole. I see a little flash every time someone bursts my bubble.

I get a little triboluminescent every time I think about an 11x14 view camera. However, you see those same sparks when you remove the tape from 120 film. I've never seen any visible fogging from it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!