Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling prints - to mount or not to mount?

Selling prints - to mount or not to mount?

I notice that some folks only sell mounted and matted prints, and other sell naked prints. What are the pros and cons?

Re: Selling prints - to mount or not to mount?

I do both.

Most of my galleries I sell to buy just the prints and then they frame and matt according to their customer taste. I have one outlet that I sell pictures on consignment and everything there I frame or matt myself. I would prefer not to be in the framing or matting business because it takes money, time, and space, but that one outlet out sells all my galleries combined so I do it.

Ed, I am always concerned with how my prints are hung, mat size color etc. By selling a print window matted in an archival mat, I increase the chances that they will be presented properly and archivally. This of course is not a guarantee but most times it works, clients just go out and buy a frame. The mat is price is worked in to the print price of course.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think this question crops up once someone starts to actually think about how they are going to manage selling prints from a web site.

Matted and/or framed prints create very different requirements for shipping than do unmatted prints. For example, it is simple and cheap to ship a large inkjet print rolled and placed in a tube which is inherently rigid. A matted print creates a different problem because it is susceptible to bending, so packaging has to be considerably more bulky. A framed print will be rigid but it has glass.

If your prints are inkjets I would offer unmatted as standard with an expensive option for framing which provides the rigidity and plastic glass or no glass. The "expensive" is to disuade the request for framing. You have to be commercially minded about this as matting and framing are expensive and time consuming as is the extra shipping.

If they are silver gelatin, then rolling them is probably not advisable so matting and framing will be the only option unless you have a sure fire method of packaging to stop damage through bending.

But then again, just count yourself lucky if you actually sell something and give them what ever they want.
    Last edited by robc; 9-Sep-2006 at 16:16.

This posting sort of relates back to the thread entitled, "11x14 on 16x20 or 20x24?" in that everyone can have different ideas as to the way they prefer their images to be presented.

I think Kirk has it right in that he presents his images in the size/color matt that he deems appropriate for the particular image. Ultimately, the consumer can still change the matt but I suspect they would most likely just take the matted image to a framer and have it framed as is. Why? Because most consumers probably wouldn't want to pay twice for matting a print.

And, building the cost of the matt into the price point makes perfect economical and business sense to me.

This would definitely be the route I'd take... but this is just moi!

As for shipping, each method would certainly have different requirements in order to ensure their safe arrival to the consumer. When I bought Clyde Butcher images back a few years ago... it seems to me they used a stiff backer board. But, the images always arrived unscathed and unbent! Whereas, I've also purchased prints that were sent in those traditional mailing tubes. I can recall one package arriving that looked like the shippers had used them as swords in the days of King Arthur and Sir Lancelot. The packages were bent and battered... and they tried to tape the thing straight again, which was a feeble attempt! It was a good thing the package was insured.

So, these days, whenever I buy images... I ask for matting AND backer boards AND insurance!

Cheers
    Last edited by Capocheny; 9-Sep-2006 at 17:20.
    Life in the fast lane!

Let me qualify my statement by saying that I don't print large, rarely to 20x24, usually 11x14 or 16x20. Size matters in this thread.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Next, lets say we matt. Is it best to use standard sizes, e.g., 5x7, 8x10, 11x14 openings and the next standard larger size matt? Or, would you recommend custom sizing the picture to your individual taste, and always use a standard size matt like 11x14, 16x, 20x, 24x etc. Some artwork I see has small pictures framed with large matts giving 4"+ borders. Or, is this detail really a can of worms?

I for one cannot use standard size openings as no two images are the same. Some people like Michael Smith get away with that but I never have.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

What about overlapping the image with the mat? Do you have a little overlap, or do you leave a little white border between the image and the mat? If you sign below the image, do you cut the mat so the signature and some border shows?

Kirk, therefore, do you cut your own mats, or use a company such as Light Impressions?