Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Pragmatic Poll: Actual Numbers for Photo Websites

Re: A Pragmatic Poll: Actual Numbers for Photo Websites

Quote Originally Posted by chris jordan
    Frank, all of the photographers who I have talked to or read about on this subject have unanimously said that selling prints on the internet is pretty much of a bust. Photography website make great portfolios for people to view, contact you about publication of images, etc., but as far as I know, there is no photographer who has any significant sales of prints going on directly from the internet.
    I think that is probably pretty true. I average 1.5k hits per day on my website, but have made very few sales.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong
    ...but my experience (and that of others as well) has shown that if you do more accessible work, you can sell on the internet...
    Agreed, I wouldn't even consider trying to sell seriously expensive prints online, but small, open edition, accessible and relatively inexpensive prints can and do sell surprisingly well.

Frank, what you haven't told us, to put your stats into some kind of context, is where your visits are coming from and on what search phrases. i.e. are those visits coming from the general public via google or are they coming from trackbacks and pings from your movabletype blog site which represents a very narrow but active demographic.

Why? because if they are coming from other bloggers then they may be useless in terms of print sales or they may not be. If they are mostly other photobloggers then probably useless. On the other hand, if they are from google then depending on the search phrases used then they could be useful.

So the question you ask is nowhere near explicit enough to make any sense of any answers unless the answers include all of the variables and since the variables are so variable your guess is as good as anyone elses.

Yeah, for once I agree with you Rob. I was really just wondering what kinds of numbers some of the photographer's sites were generating out of sheer curiousity. I was looking at some old client's brochureware sites that were only getting 50 visits a day and wondering why they ever invested so much $ into them

My results are skewed cuz of the blogging and random stuff I get. If it were just rocks and trees and inkjets for sale I am sure it would be far less visits -- but probably better quality ones.

the tells us all we need to know...
    Last edited by robc; 7-Sep-2006 at 13:11.