Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Building a darkroom

Re: Building a darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    At the Photoworks (Glen Echo Park, Washington DC) dark room, they have a long sink that was originally ... an autopsy table! With drains in all the right places. Talk about a history... I'd die for a table like that.

Just don't lie on it if there is a pathologist nearby.

More progress on my first and only darrkroom....http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=957873
    Enlargers will include an 8x10 CLS-2000, a Zone VI 5x7, and a Saunders LPL 4x5.

The newest addition is the 6 1/2 foot stainless table wet area and my Print developer tank with 5 slots for chemicals. One can't see in the newest pictures, but at the end is a 5 foot plus counter top with a sink I plan to use my jobo unit in that area to develop primarily film and will have a Zone VI 11x14 washer and when I print a 20x24 print, I have a similar washer of several sheets at a time.

I had hoped to a least try my first prints this weekend, but duties called and it should be next weekend. By that time, I should have a couple of safelights installed and an exhaust fan.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    More progress on my first and only darrkroom....http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=957873
    Enlargers will include an 8x10 CLS-2000, a Zone VI 5x7, and a Saunders LPL 4x5.

The newest addition is the 6 1/2 foot stainless table wet area and my Print developer tank with 5 slots for chemicals. One can't see in the newest pictures, but at the end is a 5 foot plus counter top with a sink I plan to use my jobo unit in that area to develop primarily film and will have a Zone VI 11x14 washer and when I print a 20x24 print, I have a similar washer of several sheets at a time.

Jon
    Tell us more about the big slot processor!

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Tell us more about the big slot processor!
    The Print Developing Tank System is 29 inches high x 23 inches long x 15 inches wide. It has a sealing lid with sealing tape inserted around the lid, 5 floating lids which fit each of the 5 individual (5 gallon capacity) tanks which are 27.5" high x 19" long x 2.25" wide. Each of these tanks can be removed to be cleaned or just flushed out and drained out of the individual taps. The unit weighs about 50 lbs. All of the joints are plastic welds. According to the designer, with the floating lids and minimum exposure to air, the chemicals last 6+ months.

Essentially, only 1 large print can be developed at a time in this system. Once the print has been developed and fixed....then it will be moved to the area where my JOBO system is presently located and an Archival Wash Tank, e.g., Zone VI, will be used.

The time saving feature I see will be the fact I don't have to mix the paper chemicals each time. Thus I can expose the paper and proceed to the wet area.

Again, this is my first darkroom and thus I am a newbie who needs lots of guidance.

I thank everyone for your assistance and guidance. If you are in the neighborhood, get a hold of me and we can print some negs.

Jon

Jon - Looks real good. The only thing that I'd change would be to install 2 filters on the water panel, one on each of the input lines instead of just the single filter on the output. Might as well protect the panel as well. Have fun,

Paul Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harris View Post
    Jon - Looks real good. The only thing that I'd change would be to install 2 filters on the water panel, one on each of the input lines instead of just the single filter on the output. Might as well protect the panel as well. Have fun,

Paul Harris
    Thanks Paul. That is a good idea. I am just now trying my hand at printing some pictures. I need to figure out how to use the Saunders adjustable print board. I have not been able to figure out how to properly place the paper with the lights out. Maybe the safelights need to be installed. I will have a long learning curve on the darkroom experience......but I know I will enjoy the ride.

Jon