Thread: Polaroid cameras...just wondering

Polaroid cameras...just wondering

I was just wondering if anyone else buys and shoots film with Polaroid cameras? I have been shooting LF for a little over a year and enjoy every aspect of it, but there are times when it seems my Polaroid 250 and 450 pack cameras are just plain fun. Instead of steak, they're more like having a good old-fashioned cheese burger with fries. I take them to different events with family and friends and always get a kick out of the response. I think the reason they are so much fun is that I don't have to worry about losing or breaking anything because I know the gear only cost me 10 to 15 bucks, and maybe also because there is no "real" expectation. However, I have come away with some great shots that scan well and I always give a few away.

Anyway, I was just wondering and would like to hear about anyone elses experience or opinion.

--ag

Re: Polaroid cameras...just wondering

I have 7 old Polaroid 100s. I use them teaching photography, and with the 667 ISO 3000 film, you can do just about anything.

I also carry one loaded in my briefcase when I substitute teach at the local high school. If a class gets unruly, I take it out and make a picture of someone. From that point forward, I own them! No more discipline problems in that group!

I agree that they're really fun, low stress, and great teaching tools.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I love those cameras, but dislike the semiwide angle lens, and the viewfinder is terribly inaccurate despite having movable "parallax correcting" framelines (only shows about 80% of the final image, which ain't good when there's no negative to crop). Also, too bad about 665 being discontinued.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I've got a 350 that will be mine forever -- when Polaroid finally dumps 664 and 667, I'll convert it to 4x5 and keep shooting (I've seen a couple of these conversions; converting to a 127-135 mm lens puts the plane of focus at a convenient location for a 4x5 spring back, which also provides clearance to cover a full 4x5 frame, and the RF error is well within the DOF at reasonable apertures). I've also got one of the very few autoexposure pinhole cameras on Earth, a Polaroid 210 converted to pinhole with original shutter intact (and compensated for the pinhole aperture), dedicated to 667 only.

I don't shoot them a lot, but I suspect that will change once I can afford the film on a regular basis...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

I still use a Polaroid 250 Automatic. Actually managed to get every accessory item made for this thing, including the odd Cloud Filter for B/W films usage. I converted mine to use a CR123A battery. It works well as a lighting check camera, if I need to check many lights on sync. Often it can just be for fun, and makes a great party camera.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Talking Re: Polaroid cameras...just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow
    I also carry one loaded in my briefcase when I substitute teach at the local high school. If a class gets unruly, I take it out and make a picture of someone. From that point forward, I own them! No more discipline problems in that group!

I agree that they're really fun, low stress, and great teaching tools.
    LOL! My wife is a teacher, she read your response and thought it was great. I never thought of using them that way. This might be just the thing that gets her into the mindset of...buying camera gear = good.