Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Statistic

Looking for Statistic

I am a developer of a photo software for digital photographers and design agencies. In a stage of planning architecture for the next program version we'd stopped and think about the future of our product. What if our new program version will be for both platforms? Mac and Windows. Mac not so popular as PC, but many design agencies have Macs.

I am not from USA and not from UK. Here Mac is not so popular. So I will be very appreciate for the peoples who can help me to decide:

- How popular Mac platform in design agencies (USA, UK, Germany)?
    - Any statistics are highly appreciated.

Sorry for mine English and
    thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for Statistic

I can't give you statistics but nearly every design, imaging and print shop I've been in (on three continents) has standardised on Mac. Mainly this is based on legacy as the first image manipulation programs were produced for the Mac OS. Most of the PC's in these environments are used in supplementary roles such as running RIP, file servers and comms.

Since macs are now moving to intel processors that means that the highly optimised code for programs such as Photoshop should become far more easily portable between the mac intel operating systems and the windows intel operating system meaning much reduced development costs for producing two versions.

If you are designing for Mac Intel then the conversion to Windows Intel should be much easier than in the past unless you are also optimising for older mac architecture.

Also, many many digital photographers use PC's. You will have a much larger market if you make windows intel version available as well as a Mac version. Mac version will appeal to graphic designers and print houses etc. But remember, the new Mac Intel machines can also run windows operating system so one machine could run either a windows or mac version of the software. Question is do you really want to create two products when only one is needed. If you only want to produce one product then I would choose the windows intel version since it will run on both windows and the new macs which have windows installed.

Having said that, if your market is predominantly graphic designers and print houses then that might not be such a good idea. But if it is predominantly photographers then Windows intel would IMO be the better option because you then have a much bigger potential market of anyone with a digital camera and a windows PC.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    Since macs are now moving to intel processors that means that the highly optimised code for programs such as Photoshop should become far more easily portable between the mac intel operating systems and the windows intel operating system meaning much reduced development costs for producing two versions......

Don't know where you get that one from. Even if a significant portion of the code was the same, then you have to throw in the extra complications of e.g. config management, design, testing, etc. which would be greater than any potential saving of having some common bits of code. Reminds me of the great myth about Java (not Javascript!!) programming, which resulted in the phrase "write once, test everywhere". The nirvana of cross platform compatibilty is still just as non-existant as it ever was.

However, we are a bit off topic, and in response to the original question, I don't think an LF forum is the best place to be asking these types of questions.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kefford; 3-Sep-2006 at 07:22.

Do you plan to sell to the general public, or to professionals?

Yes the general public is Windows based, but the majority of professional image makers I'd encountered are Macintosh users. There are plenty of pros who love the Windows environment, but most newspapers, magazines, graphic design studios and advertising agencies are Macintosh based.

Now can your software work with digitally scanned film images? We large format photographers are shooting film (some 6x9 and 4x5 digital), so those of us who scan our film for digital inkjet output need to know if your software will address our needs.

Steve,

I'd never suggest that there was any such thing as truly portable code. I said it would be easier which it will be.

become far more easily portable
    read the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kefford
    Don't know where you get that one from. Even if a significant portion of the code was the same, then you have to throw in the extra complications of e.g. config management, design, testing, etc. which would be greater than any potential saving of having some common bits of code. Reminds me of the great myth about Java (not Javascript!!) programming, which resulted in the phrase "write once, test everywhere". The nirvana of cross platform compatibilty is still just as non-existant as it ever was.

However, we are a bit off topic, and in response to the original question, I don't think an LF forum is the best place to be asking these types of questions.

Steve

Thanks to all for the answers. I understand that writing software for both platforms requires more efforts than just writing code once for both platforms. Testing - one of a dozen. I am sorry if I choosen the wrong forum (please correct me) but I guess this forum guys have should have many design/photo agency employers.

Initally our software target audience was public. But after some times we discover that half of our customers are professional photographers. So we begun to add new features for our software such as DNG/XMP supports, etc...
    Last edited by McPhoto; 3-Sep-2006 at 10:43.

If you are developing for design agencies, then having a Mac OS X version would be your best chance of getting sales. Last numbers I saw indicated nearly 80% of design and printing places using Macintosh computers. The exception is web designers, who are more Windows XP based; this is due to more general public viewers being on Windows based systems.

The biggest difference still between Mac OS X and Windows XP is how each operating system handles PostScript fonts. It is still slightly easier to handle PostScript fonts on Mac OS X. There are other differences, like substantially more Windows based virus problems, but while working they are things one might not notice as much.

Funny enough, one of the best sources for Mac OS X statistics is Apple. Since they are a public company (stock shares), if they lied about the numbers they could get in trouble with the SEC (United States Securities and Exchange Commission). Another good source is AIGA, which is an association many designers belong to in North America.

Marketing to digital photographers, you might find substantially more hobbiest as users than professionals. It would be tougher to guess distribution, but I would lean towards Windows XP users as the majority of digital camera consumers.

My own personal experience, since I am a professional photographer and a design for print, is that I run into infinitely more Mac OS X based places. The rare professional Windows based shops I run into often are just running a sign printing and construction business. It might also interest you that many Design Schools use Apple computers, so their student populations might be another market, especially if you follow the lead of Adobe by offering student discounts. Best of luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat
    If you are developing for design agencies, then having a Mac OS X version would be your best chance of getting sales. Last numbers I saw indicated nearly 80% of design and printing places using Macintosh computers. The exception is web designers, who are more Windows XP based; this is due to more general public viewers being on Windows based systems.
    Gordon, thank you for the answer. Unfortunatelly Apple statistic do not shows Mac quote among design/photo agencies and pros photographers but only total solded Macs.

I appreciate for your response.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat
    The exception is web designers, who are more Windows XP based; this is due to more general public viewers being on Windows based systems.
    I think the exception is web developers, not web designers. I have yet to meet a web designer or design shop that was pc-based. Coders and developers are a different story. I see a fair number of these that use windows as their primary platform. but all the high end ones are openly bi ... they run development machines on several platforms simultaneously.

My friend who writes code at google is constantly switching between osx, windows, and linux.