Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phillips Compact II 8x10 Camera

Re: Phillips Compact II 8x10 Camera

I own a phillips 7 x 17 and it is a fantastic camera. For 8 x 10 I own a wehman which I also really like. I almost went with the shen hao 7 x 17, but Dick had a couple people back out at the last minute on the 7 x 17, so I would definitely call him re: the 8 x 10's. But if you can't get a phillips, you should look at the wehman and shen hao (which is very much designed after the phillips, but all wood). I think the Wehman and Shen Hao are comparably priced around $1800? You can get a sinar adaptor for the Wehman too.

I was running like Kerry during the Speed Date session at the Conference but I did spend a bit o time with the hen Hao 8x10 since, as a formr Phillips Compact II owner and current Canham 57 Traditional owner, I wanted to see how and where the Shen Hao had borrowed from the two. Tje rear movements are indeed very much lke those on the Compact II although, if I recall correctly that applies to the swings/shifts and the tilt was more like the Canham. You wil have no trouble with the movements onthe Phillips, jsut that they are different than those on other cameras in terms of the rear lead screw for fine docus adjustment, the two sliding rails for rough focus and swings/shifts and finally the screw down front standard as opposed to sliding into place, that is you scew it to a specic screw mount on the base for the lens you are using, sort of a permanent infinity stop arrangement. The camera is quick to setup and use once you get the hang of it.

As Oren said, the shorter/wider lenses will be no problem, but you will have problems with your longer lenses
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog