Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood or plastic holders?

Wood or plastic holders?

I am amazed that no one appears to have addressed this question before in the LF Forum archives.

I use wood film holders in 4x5 and 5x7. Why? I like the way they feel and handle.

I saw a passing reference recently that wooden holders hold film flatter. To be honest, I've used both and have never noticed a difference one way or the other.

Thoughts?

Sanders McNew
    www.mcnew.net/portraits

Re: Wood or plastic holders?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew
    I am amazed that no one appears to have addressed this question before in the LF Forum archives.

I use wood film holders in 4x5 and 5x7. Why?

Not too many good wood holders are left. I have heard that the added benefit of wood is that they're less likely to generate static electricity and attract dust...

I got a couple for my deardorff but haven't had the time to test them yet. But as far as looks go, wooden holders sure look better on a dorf than plastic ones

I feed both plastic and wooden ones to my 8x10. My preference is for the black wooden ones marked "made by Graflex for Eastman Kodak"

They're lighter wieght.
    They're a lot cheaper.
    I can unscrew the light traps for cleaning/repair if needed.
    If I can't fix 'em I can easily cannibalize 'em for parts.

Good enough reasons for me, but there are times when plastic is preferable---when flying. A spring back makes a great one way demand valve. Put a smooth faced wooden film holder in your camera, take it up to 14.000' and it'll sieze on you. Land and you'll break some finger nails trying to get the holder out of the spring back. If the back has a bail, you'll simply bend the thing. A plastic holder with a textured surface will leak air to prevent the vacume---much easier on your fingernails and wallet, since you paid $$$/hour to go flying and you only have one exposure to show for it!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders McNew
    I've used both and have never noticed a difference one way or the other.

Thoughts?
    Yup. Go with what makes ya happy.

I also find that rebuilding wooden film holders a pleasant exercise on cold winter evenings. With plastic holders, that often entails mixing epoxy and other nasty stuff, then filing for an "iffy" fit. With wood holders I can fabricate new ells, easily retape hinges and do all kinds of little things to restore a cannibal queen to usefulness without messing up my fireside hearth with flammable fumes and particulates.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've used both wooden and plastic holders in my 4x5 and haven't noticed a huge amount of difference between the two.

I do, however, much prefer the Linhof and Toyo holders to the other brands such as Fidelity and Lisco.

I also have friends who use the single sheet holders from Sinar and they swear that these holders are, by and far, the best at holding film flat.

From what I've heard (not from experience though), the vacuumed holders hold the film the absolute flattest of them all. This seems more likely since the sheet of film is sucked flat against the back of the holder. But, this is only a speculative guess!

For the 8x10, I've only used the plastic holders and haven't had any issues with them whatsoever.

I've also heard that the wooden ones hold the film flatter than the plastic versions although... I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning behind this.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I have 4x10 wooden holders and 5x7 plastic holders. I vote hands down for the wooden ones. I like their feel, they are lighter, and I have less dust problems with them.

Can any one tell me where I can purchase new wooden 5x7 holders?
    Last edited by Stephen Willard; 30-Aug-2006 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard
    I have 4x10 wooden holders and 5x7 plastic holders. I vote hands down for the wooden ones. I like their feel, they are lighter, and I have less dust problems with them.

Stephen,

Unfortunately, you've just missed out on 4 wooden ones selling for $25 each on APUG. I'm pretty sure they've already been sold but you can check it out to be certain.

Otherwise, you do see them every so often on the bay.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard
    You won't like the price, but contact Günter at Lotus View Camera. I'm so pleased with their wooden holders that I'm considering asking him for a price on custom 5x7s. Perhaps if a number of us pool an order the cost could be reduced.

I agree with John. The graflex or Kodak by Graflex ones with the screws that let you take apart the light trap are nice and light weight. It is a question of what your time is worth; they are all loaded with dust, have to be disassembled, the tape has to be redone properly, they might need a little paint, the dark slides have to be cleaned, etc. etc. and when you're done you have nice usable film holders. The thickness of the tape on the hinge has to be just right on some cameras (like a Canham MQC) or they won't seat properly since the too thick tape on the hinge will keep the light trap groove from fully seating in the slot on the back, even though it looks like it did. All of this can take 45 minutes to an hour per holder.