Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Witkin and Color Theory?

Witkin and Color Theory?

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND................

from another thread:
    A graphic designer friend of mine tells me that you need to be very careful about using black. It can send out a lot of negatives about the web site. Like other colours which send subconcious signals. i.e. white is for purity. Black is for the dark side. Red is warm but also dangerous and blue is cold and un-inviting etc etc etc.
    by Robc from another thread.

If you hung one of the most outrageous Joel Peter Witkin's on a white wall, would it be less emotionally "dark" than if it were hung on a black wall?

I have always found color "meaning" theory very simplistic and suspect.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 30-Aug-2006 at 16:07.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Witkin and Color Theory?

Agreed.

When I see someone wearing a black shirt - I don't think "They are with the dark side!"

I've seen quite a few photography websites that had black backgrounds and thought they were very effective. I think gray would equally work well.

I don't lend too much consideration to the psychological aspects of color, unless there is an obvious negative connection.

Not having read Witkins, I'm not sure if he includes a cultural aspect, but culture and religion seem to play a major role in how people react to colors.

On the other hand, the reaction to a black background with a blood-red inverted pentacle design might be fairly universal.

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Well - I know he has his detractors - but I really like his latest work. Kind of brilliant, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings
    HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND................

from another thread:
    by Robc from another thread.

If you hung one of the most outrageous Joel Peter Witkin's on a white wall, would it be less emotionally "dark" than if it were hung on a black wall?

I have always found color "meaning" theory very simplistic and suspect.
    Do you use black mats for your black and white prints? Especially when mounting for exhibition. Why or why not? Do gallery walls tend to be white or black? Why should it be different for web sites?

It is not what YOU think, it is how others percieve your web site which is important. Especially when you consider that a website in the context of most photographers, is primarily a marketing tool.

I look at black and grey photo web sites and find them all to be much of a muchness. But then I could say that about white web sites as well. What I think is worse is that it seems as though it has to be black and grey to be a member of the "fine art photography club".

It's just a matter of pragma, don't you think? A black 'background' in general is going to anchor darks/blacks in the print. A white 'background' is going to make the dark areas less readable. It's all about the context. Like trying to see the interior of a black box in the brilliant sun.

Robc,

If black, white and grey are all "much of a muchness" then where is the grand color theory you quoted of black being the darkside and white being purity? It seems you are presenting it both ways.

You probably think this sounds arogant but....actually when it comes to my work it is all about what I think. Every aspect of my art is about what I think. I have found over the years that what I like works well presenting my work. What I like for my work is white mats and a black website and I sell lots of prints, exhibit regularly and have a pretty popular website that generates allot of sales and feedback.

As an artist, it is when you start catering to the perceived taste of an audience that you get into trouble. Even when I am commisioned to shoot architecture, they hired me for my vision, my interpretaion of the structure.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 30-Aug-2006 at 17:20.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I was quoting what I was told. It is not MY theory. I said you need to be careful and not its a law that you must not use black although I don't favour a black background for a website.

Are you saying your website wouldn't have been sucessful if, for example, it had a white background. Maybe it would be more sucessful. You won't know if you don't try...

Having it both ways means using white for print mats and black for web site mat. So why do you prefer white mats for prints? If a web site looks so good with black why don't you use the same for prints?

Because black mattes tend to look cheap and contrived. They're not even really close to black, in a silver print anyway. But in some instances they do the trick (a really dark print maybe).