Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Witkin and Color Theory?

Michael E. Gordon

Re: Witkin and Color Theory?

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    This may be a generalisation but the black and grey web sites, which are so common amongst photographers, send out signals of uniformity and lack of imagination as far as web site construction goes.
    How is it that this same generalisation doesn't apply to white websites?

Maybe it does to you.

When I started looking at web sites to see how other photographers had done it, that was what I found. I just didn't want to follow that course. Call me a rebel if you like. I just wanted to be different from other photographers web sites. It's taken me a long time and I've ended up with something which is apparently lacking in much graphic design. Thats just my perception. YMMV. Like I said, it's a generalisation...

Abuser of God's Sunlight

The points about psychological effects of colors are interesting ... i've seen studies that show people to experience different average pulse rates in rooms painted different colors; to eat less in rooms painted blue, that kind of thing.

I do think this is different from culturally-attached meanings, however. For example, in Western cultures black is often seen as the color of death, but in Japan white is the color of death. That kind of thing.

Back to the web background thing, I generally find the problems of black and gray backgrounds to be a bigger issue with B+W work than with color work.