Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glacier National Park Sept 17-24

Glacier National Park Sept 17-24

Hello all,

I am currently going to Glacier National Park for the week of Sept 17-24, and plan to do a lot of photography. Since my wife is unable to hike, due to being pregnant, I am forced to hike alone. I'm prepared with canned air horns, aluminum walking stick, and pepper spray for the last chance, but having somebody on the trail would be better.

If there is anybody that is going at the same time and want to team up for hiking let me know. Also, any suggestions on locations would also be welcome.

I'm planning on using large format and 35mm for the animal life.

Cheers,
    Loren

http://www.lorencrannell.com

Re: Glacier National Park Sept 17-24

Prevention = bear bells. There is at least one company that makes a bear bell with a magnetized stuff sack to turn the ring off when you're in the parking lot - 4$ at REI. I'd like to join you but I'm not sure I can run faster than you
    Last edited by Eric James; 28-Aug-2006 at 21:46.

>>>I'm prepared with canned air horns, aluminum walking stick, and pepper spray for the last chance, but having somebody on the trail would be better.<<<

Sounds like valium might come in handy.<g>

Dave

Glacier Park Grizzly poop is easy to identify - it has little bells in it and smells like peppers.

Bruce

dave, that's funny...
    Robert Oliver

You probably already know you are entering a back yard filled with a few Grizzly Bears. Company is definitely a good thing in that environment.

Unfortunately I can not invite a companion on short notice for a hike, and most of the time by choice, I spend several hours each week hiking alone in the mountains. Encountering a Bear is not unusual. Sudden noises are extremely disturbing, and I found that a Bear bell simply tells the Grizzly or Black Bear you are close by and catchable, Bear spray can be too little too late, as the Bear munches your hand while you fumble with the locking device on the spray can, or even worse as you accidentally discharge the spray into the wind and it blows back into your eyes. If, and when that happens, say your prayers quickly...

Personally, I find a Bear Banger, to be a very good ally...

A Bear Banger, for those of you unfamiliar with the term, does not imply a Rogue Bear at the end of a leash, but it happens to be a pocket "pencil like" device that fires a loud bullet sounding projectile at an unwanted guest, which explodes at the end of the missles journey. The explosion can be louder than an M-80 fire cracker, and somewhat louder still beside your ear, as accidents do happen. The projectile travels about 50 metres, while screaming all the way to the target, before exploding.

That said, this device is known to keep the unwanted guest at bay, and usually the Bear heads for the deep underbrush. It does not guarantee however, that the Bear will run in the opposite direction, especially if you over shoot the target and the projectile explodes behind the Bear, causing the Bear to run at you.

IMHO, that is one huge mistake...

Once a month, I normally practice discharging the device to feel comfortable with it, and while I hike, I say my prayers every tens steps, or so.

jim k

I spent 2 days there this summer. Awesome. I stayed in Apgar at the lodge there. Had a view of the sunrise and sunset from my room. Hiked to Hidden Lake at the summit. You might want to get the newsletter on glacier park at photographamerica.com for other suggestions.

You can see some photos of mine at www.stokenphotography.com

Have fun,
    Jackie

Thanks Jim,

I will look into the Bear Banger. If I coordinate it correctly I can have it shipped to the hotel since I am flying in.

Looks like it could be helpful for pesky raccoons in my backyard!!

Loren

I'm not sure that the US Park Service would want you to be firing exploding projectiles in the park. All of the devices you mention would be used during a confrontation. Unless you plan to periodically blast your canned air horn while you hike, you are well advised to have a bell or two on your pack - to help prevent the occurrence of a confrontation - especially if you are hiking alone. Good luck.

5x5 with 4x5

As a native of this part of the country, my recommendation is to NOT hike alone.

That said, you should also be aware that most of the facilities will be closed/closing at that time. (visitors centers, lodges, etc.)

It is not uncommon to encounter snow and freezing overnight temps during late Sept., so you should be prepared for that and plan accordingly. I can't count the number of day-hikers who expect a short hike and end up either spending the night or worse, become the object of search parties.

Matt