Thread: Yours - and Joel's - chessiest photo jobs

Yours - and Joel's - chessiest photo jobs

Seeing the impressive new 9-11 photo book by Joel Meyerowitz reminded me that he made his money by doing really corny "happy people" photos for Kool cigarettes.

I'm wondering what cheesy photos you've had to do in order to make a living... or on a dare, etc.?

Once I had to fill 1000 little plastic "lab" bottles with a rainbow of colored water and then put them all into a larger bottle, held by a bikini model, for one of those "guess how many" campaigns. Shortly afterwards Crack Cocaine became popular and guess which bottles quicky topped the sales charts?

Re: Yours - and Joel's - chessiest photo jobs

Frank,

The cheesiest photographic job I've ever had to do was to go out to a small town called Drumheller, Alberta and photograph, "The World's Smallest Church" for one of the well-known tabloids that you see at the grocery store. It was on a Mother's Day and took me 5 about 5 hours to do.

They published 4 pictures from the shoot and I managed to sell another one that was included in a calendar.

For the time and effort, it was one of the most profitable shoots I've ever done. If only "cheesy" shoots like this came along all year round!

After that... they asked me to go down to Waterton National Parks to photograph a man who survived a black bear mauling. That one... I refused to do because I felt it was more important to leave the fellow in peace (as per his request.)

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

What Capocheny meant to say was that he felt it better to leave the gent in "pieces".
    heh heh heh.
    Drumheller? Another cool area I love to photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill
    What Capocheny meant to say was that he felt it better to leave the gent in "pieces".
    heh heh heh.
    Drumheller? Another cool area I love to photograph.

Hi Andrew,

No, no... I spelled it "peace!"

Not piece!!!

Drumheller is a great place to shoot... haven't been back down since though! Have you gone in recent years?

I often wonder if the world's smallest church is still there... hmmm, perhaps, it's time for another trip out that way.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!