Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy people paying crazy prices!

Exclamation Crazy people paying crazy prices!

I gawk at E*ay all the time to oogle over things I don't need and at times to try to find something that I do need. It's addictive. It's like watching Antiques Roadshow in realtime, 24x7.

Having just purchased my 11x14 camera, I'm spending a fair amount of time looking for accessories for it. And of course, filmholders are a top priority. Lo and behold, I've seen three go by on Ebay. The first two went by before I purchased the camera. One went for something like $305 and the other for a little bit more. They were the Fidelity sort and in good condition.

Then came this beast: another 11x14 Fidelity holder in somewhat sadder condition, in need of some repair. And some poor soul paid $330!! for this thing! For another $30, he could have purchased a beautiful wooden one that was NEW!

I have a feeling the buyer, "snypurr", made one snipe too many in this last purchase....

Sorry, I'll try to keep these types of posts down to a minimum. I'm excited to see what the 11x14 Deardorf goes for; it's already got me feeling fuzzy over my Wisner purchase...

--A

Re: Crazy people paying crazy prices!

I see that kind of stuff all the time. About a month ago some guy "won" a used macro focusing rail (for 35mm and MF) for only $30 more than B&H's selling price for a new one! Same model.

As often as not, the same or similar items can be had through reputable dealers like K.E.H., Midwest Photo, etc. -- whose rating systems tend to be quite conservative and whose return policies are trustworthy. Seems foolish to bid more on eBay than what Midwest is asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gentile
    Seems foolish to bid more on eBay than what Midwest is asking.

Couldn't agree with you more, Bob. But I think it's people not doing their homework that are making these types of bids.

Or... those who get caught up in the "heat of the moment!"

Or... those who really want the item regardless of the cost.

But, in this case, it COULD be because it's coming from the Dagor-meister himself that is so appealing! It probably came from the same basement as many of those rare Dorffs with the incredible stories behind them!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Couldn't agree with you more, Bob. But I think it's people not doing their homework that are making these types of bids.

Or... those who get caught up in the "heat of the moment!"

Or... those who really want the item regardless of the cost.

But, in this case, it COULD be because it's coming from the Dagor-meister himself that is so appealing! It probably came from the same basement as many of those rare Dorffs with the incredible stories behind them!

Cheers
    You're absitively posolutely right -- people not doing their homework. And... I'm afraid I'm guilty of that on this one. I didn't realize the seller was Dagor, else my comments would have come from a different direction. Heck, the stories alone are worth...

You're absitively posolutely right -- people not doing their homework. And... I'm afraid I'm guilty of that on this one. I didn't realize the seller was Dagor, else my comments would have come from a different direction. Heck, the stories alone are worth...
    Hi Bob,

LOL... yup, ole Andrew's stories are worth the price of admission. I've bought quite a few things from him and he's always been great to work with.

So, even though some items may be a bit higher in terms of cost... I don't mind doing the deal with him. Besides, it all comes out in the wash!

But, you've gotta watch his feedback though! I still wonder, "(LOL) How the he** does he know I'm a good kisser???? "

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

"... How the he** does he know I'm a good kisser...?"
    Aw... c'mon. It's common knowledge. Everyone knows about your kisses!

Man I'd rather take the speed graphic that that could have bought... or any number of vintage lenses....

Aw... c'mon. It's common knowledge. Everyone knows about your kisses!

LOL... Gee, thanks Bob!

Yup... good ole' Andrew with his sense of humor!

And, I didn't think he knew any of the girls I "once" knew! It's a small, small world indeed!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

"... I didn't think he knew any of the girls I "once" knew! It's a small, small world indeed...!"
    You'd be even more flattered to hear what they have to say about you. Apparently, it's all over the "Ladies" restroom walls. Frankly, I'm more than a little envious.

Here's more film holder madness, even worse that the other one.

I was watching an auction (150026129554) for 6 Toyo 4x5 film holders (like I really needed any more) jus because they're good holders. The auction said new ones were $60 for two, and B&H actually has them in stock for $59.95 - close enough. He's also charging rather high shipping of $14 to my zip code (right coast) and requiring insurance. That will come to aout $20.

So how much do you think they went for? How about $201.99? !!!

Someone paid $21 more for used holders than he could have gotten new ones from B&H, and the new price was listed in the auction! And B&H has VERY reasonable shipping, so add another $15 or so for the extra shipping charges.

Steve