Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dslr

Re: Dslr

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    It is really instructive to handle the actual cameras, there is a huge difference in build quality even at the same price point.
    You're absolutely right. At this point of technology delopment, any dslr with raw capability will yield great shots. They also have very comparable resolutions and other capabilities. What really sets them apart are handling, lenses (and other accessories) available and built-in software.

I was just recently shopping for a new dslr myself, and being invested in Canon already, thought I would have to decide between 30d and 5d. But after handling all of the Canons my local camera shop had, I walked away with Rebel XT (the 8MP one).

What I needed the most was a walkaround and travel camera and Rebel proved to be wonderfully light and yet still very capable. I bought it with 17-85 EF-S. Not the top lens, but very decent for the purpose, has IS and, most important of all, is very useful as the single lens.

Yes, the whole kit feels a little plasticky, it is positively tiny for my hands, and I might as well end up with a bigger one in a few months. But it handles suprisingly well, it's so light it's easy to forget it's in the bag and there's no discernible difference in quality compared to 30d. It is going to make a great IR camera some day, but until then it's serving it's purpose very nicely and on the budget.

Al,

I shoot everything in RAW. Don't remember the file size, but I usually convert in Adobe using the highest resolution. I print on an Epson 4800, Moab Entrada Natural matte paper.

I generally get my 4x5 chromes drum scanned for printing keepers. While the prints from the 5D do not have quite the detail I get from the chromes, nonetheless I am quite happy with the prints. They look damn nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    You're absolutely right. At this point of technology delopment, any dslr with raw capability will yield great shots.
    One of the great things about the DSLR, is it makes the prices of cameras that were previously too expensive, like the Nikon F5 much more affordable. Now, if only the price of the Nikon F6 would drop a bit - that is my next small camera purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Hi Walter,

I read your review. I am looking into a DSLR. I do not own a digital camera. I'd like to do some copy work with a DSLR. I've been considering this to capture my 7 x 17 contact prints for web display. I have a really big copy stand. I may just do 4 x 5 copying as I can scan 4 x 5s. But the idea of "quick capture" is inviting.

I guess I did not understand why the D100 was a disappointment? For my purposes I thought the D100 or D70 might do the job? It looks like most of these cameras weigh the same (or close). Can you expound further on the negative details of the D100 and others?

thanks

phil

I had an Olympus consumer grade digital camera which I used primarily for taking pictures of family and friends or when I needed a quick image. I also used it to scout out potential pictures for my 4 x 5 view camera. But I found the Olympus inadequate for its primary purpose, particularly when used indoors at family occasions, so I upgraded to a Nikon D70. I find that much more usable for such purposes because it is a true SLR and because of the great choice of lenses and accessories such as external flash. I now use it also for scouting out scenes for my 4 x 5, and it works better for that purpose too. I usually carry the small Olympus in my view camera kit and use it by taking a quick picture of a gray card in order to help later with color balance. I could use the Nikon for that purpose, but is is quite a bit larger and heavier.

There are some limitations to using a digital camera to scout out scenes. Aspect ratio differences, lack of rise, and fewer choices for equivalent focal lengths make it difficult to frame a scene as you would with a view camera. But you can still get some useful information about point of view, lighting, and other matters, and it is pretty quick. Also, in a pinch, I can produce a fairly decent picture with my D70 when in a hurry.