Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large format newbie help.

Large format newbie help.

Hi guys,

I've received my first large format kit this week and am keen to try it out this weekend so i can be sure its all working fine.. I'm familiar with various 35mm and medium format cameras, so am keen to learn how to take photos with a large format camera.

I brought the recommended beginners text

"Using the View Camera" by Steve Simmons

Which i am about to go and read through but for now i was looking for more specific answers to questions about the kit i got.. here are the items that I brought..

Shen Hao 5x4 folding field camera body varnished teak.
    Schneider Kreusnack symmar 150 5.6 for 5x4 +lensboard
    5 double dark slides for 5x4 cameras
    Horseman 6cmx12cm.120 roll fim back for 5x4 cameras

I know some people aren't fans of the Shen Hao cameras, I was too impatient but I'm hoping it'll be sufficient for a beginner, who'll probably make more mistakes than the camera causes.

I'll try to take some pictures so perhaps people can tell me if for example the lens is a modern design or an old one, whether its rated as reasonable or a poor performer.. it was quite cheap and I was keen to not spend too much more as the combined costs were higher than i'd have liked to have spent.

I brought the medium format back as I am familiar with developing my own medium format film.. also my scanner (espon 4490) will scan the 6cmx12cm slides straight away.. this sadly looks like the maximum negative size it will scan as the light box in the lid is not any taller than the 6cm of medium format film.. I've posted seperately about my patterson orbital tank that I'm hoping will let me develop 5x4" film, but for now I plan to conduct initial tests with that medium format back.

It has no instructions with it, its not THAT complex, i'll have a fiddle with it more later, for now could someone with experience of these horseman backs tell me how its going to work.. loading the film should be fair enough, i can see where the film will be placed for exposure, how am i going to protect this film from the light when its not mounted on the camera... with it on the camera, how do i compose the image that I plan to shoot with it on the 5x4" screen?

Beyond that, i'm not sure whether i can leave the lens board on the camera when i try to fold it away.. anyone know if this is possible with the shen hao camera, and that 150mm lens?

That's it for now.. I'm lacking a focusing black out cloth or whatever, something i'll need to rectify, initial test shots will be done at home anyways where i can use a towel hopefully.

Your help is very much appreciated by this large format newbie.

Cheers

Re: Large format newbie help.

Get a dark cloth.

Try folding the camera with the lens on slowly. If it doesn't work, don't do it. Remove lens and lens board (keep lens and lens board together) from camera and store separately.

The film holders should always have the dark slide in place, except when making the exposure. You compose the image on the ground glass without the film holder in place.

Don't be afraid to make lots of mistakes. That's how we all learn.

The most important thing: have fun.

Thanks, I will be getting a dark cloth... not quite sure how it attaches to the camera mind?

Ohh one last huge oversight, though i'm kind of aware that this starts to become off topic for this forum.

I don't have a light meter.. I plan to get one, a good one, that does spot metering and incoming light through a diffuser (whatever the correct term for that is).. I am not sure if the exposure for the large format camera will need to be different than a "normal" exposure from a light meter but I was planning to use one of my other cameras, compose roughly the same frame and use its exposure reading as a basis, or even as the exact exposure to do if i've locked the aperture to the same as i'll use on the lens in aperture priority mode. Is this even possible, i realise its not ideal but i'd rather save and get a good light meter, plus i'd rather not spend any more money right now.

Any pointers on doing this?

Cheers, again.

I have some slides.. the same kind as you put sheet film inside? so one of these attaches to the rollfilm back, and then you put these combined into the camera? I take it i will have to totally remove the ground glass focusing screen to do this?

As for composing on the screen for the back, is it by trial and error that i should line up where on the focusing screen lines up with where on the back, I'd rather be able to compose the frame with some accuracy, i'm sure it'll become more obvious when I actually start trying with the equipment.

Using a 35mm camera's meter is better than nothing, but won't help in the long run as to fine-tuning your metering technique and settings with a good handheld meter. There have been a couple of threads on the subject which you should be able to find using the search function.

Similarly, there have been numerous discussions of hand-held meters that may help you select one. I use an older Sekonic L-508 that does zoom-spot reflected readings and incident (the white dome) readings for both ambient and electronic flash. IMHO, investing in a good, versatile meter is, in the long run, worth spending the extra bucks.

A quick look at the root of the site and i've come across the BLACKJACKET cloth... looks pretty neat, not too much money.. Their site says the shen hao has a larger back and so getting 40" or the one for the 5x7" is best.. I'm assuming although the neck is this big that you can tighten with the elastic and get it back down to a typical 5x4" back size..

Anyone used these.. anyone suggest a better sub-forum to put this topic under?

Cheers

Thanks guys.. I'm going to go and read up in the book now, but as an aside using a 35mm or digital camera's meter set to the same aperture as i choose to set the large format lens to will result in a shutter speed i can use on the large format camera and get a passibly exposed picture on a negative with its increased lattitude?

I agree I will get a good meter, its just new, the really good ones are rather expensive.. if some slightly older, 2nd hand ones come down a lot i'll get one sooner rather than later.

Anyways thanks.. off to read up, and roughly practice

The Black Jacket is good, so is the BTZS hood sold by the View Camera Store. A plain old darkcloth that you just drape over the rear of the camera works fine too but is hevier and bulkier than either of the first two.

Hi there,

"As for composing on the screen for the back, is it by trial and error that i should line up where on the focusing screen lines up with where on the back, I'd rather be able to compose the frame with some accuracy, i'm sure it'll become more obvious when I actually start trying with the equipment."

If your ground glass does not have the roll film format marked, they ( camera store, on-line, ebay) do make a removeable clear acetate film with the lines that mounts to the outside of the glass.

Just mount the roll film holder into the back, remove the entire back, turn it up-side down and measure the film gate in the roll film holder to see if it is centered. Turn it over, remove the roll film and install the ground glass, measure and mount the acetate, OR you could just use pencil lines on the outside of the ground glass, OR a card stock/poster paper mask that matches, very easy to make and non-messy.

Good luck and great fun with it.

Hi there,

"As for composing on the screen for the back, is it by trial and error that i should line up where on the focusing screen lines up with where on the back, I'd rather be able to compose the frame with some accuracy, i'm sure it'll become more obvious when I actually start trying with the equipment."

If your ground glass does not have the roll film format marked, they ( camera store, on-line, ebay) do make a removeable clear acetate film with the lines that mounts to the outside of the glass.

Just mount the roll film holder into the back, remove the entire back, turn it up-side down and measure the film gate in the roll film holder to see if it is centered. Turn it over, remove the roll film and install the ground glass, measure and mount the acetate, OR you could just use pencil lines on the outside of the ground glass, OR a card stock/poster paper mask that matches, very easy to make and non-messy.

Good luck and great fun with it.