Thread: Rosenthal Death

Rosenthal Death

Because the forum was down when Joe Rosenthal passed away, I'll take the opportunity now to post this and say what a thrill it was to meet him and make a picture of him as a college student in 1984.

He spent 30 minutes just talking to a couple of us after a dedication of the monument where one of the marines is buried in Fleming County, Kentucky.

A class act.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Re: Rosenthal Death

I took a class with Corneius Keyes back in the late seventies and he knew Joe pretty well. Joe stopped in and gave a talk once and brought a portfolio of prints. I liked his printing technique. It suited his images quite nicely. A bit hard on the contrast; yet he still managed to maintain clean mid tone values. He was certainly an opinionated sort, wasn't he? Very instructive and entertaining to hear him speak. I didn't know he passed away.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Rosenthal Death

According to his family, Mr. Rosenthal died of natural causes at age 94. As each day passes more and more of the WWII generation passes away. Not just those who served in the armed forces, but those who served on the home front as well. I know that Mr. Rosenthal's signature photo was of the flag raising at Iwo Jima, but is there someplace where we can access some of his other work from WWII?