Thread: Best time for Autumn Colors in California's Coastal Redwoods?

Best time for Autumn Colors in California's Coastal Redwoods?

I realize that California’s Redwood Coast is not your typical autumn photo destination, but I’m planning an October trip to Humboldt and Del Norte counties.

I would appreciate any first hand knowledge you have concerning when autumn colors at generally at their prime – early, mid, or late in the month? Thanks. -Dan

Re: Best time for Autumn Colors in California's Coastal Redwoods?

Autumn?

Given that you know redwoods themselves, being evergreens, don't turn...

IIRC, that area of coast will generally be at its best 2-3 weeks after the Seattle area -- which varies by a week or two from year to year, but should be mid to late October. I'd suggest contacting someone local in the area to confirm, though; the Pacific coast from San Francisco to the Olympic Peninsula is one long string of microclimates.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Try here: http://www.calphoto.com/fall.htm. There won't be any posting until mid-Sept at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    Autumn?
    Actually, riparian areas of California’s Coastal Redwood forests are said to feature beautiful displays of big leaf maples and other deciduous trees in the fall. The contrast with the redwoods must be striking.

The poison oak looks kind of colorful in autumn. The ferns will be brown though. I haven't spent much time in the coastal redwoods, but from what I've seen of them they are all pretty much redwood (along 101)---not much other species were present (unlike say, Tuolumne Grove where the giants share the forest with other species like maples, dogwoods, etc...) but like I said, my experience in the coastal redwoods have been limited. In true riparian habitats there should be some deciduous species that would certainly contrast with the redwoods but these would likely be in pockets. I'm not sure how predictable the arrival of fall color would be. You might try e mailing the Fort Bragg tourist organizations or better yet the Skunk railroad for predictions. Since the Skunk has been around for decades and now cater soley to tourism they probably have a good idea of when the colors peak in that neck o' the woods. It sounds like fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

I lived there for a few years and as I recall it doesn't just happen all at once. Fall comes on softly. Different trees are at different times. Certainly October is a wonderful time. Late October probably better. Poison oak has probably already changed. I saw some here in the Santa Barbara mountains this weekend that was a wonderful red and it's not from cool temps. Hasn't been cool even at night for months. If you are near wine country, the grapes leaves turn wonderful colors --- different grapes at different times. About 6 years ago the family spent 3 weeks in Redwood country. It was centered around Thanksgiving. By that time, there were still some maple leaves on the trees, but mostly on the ground. They hadn't rotted yet, though.

Well, on the north Sonoma coast (Timber Cove area) the poison Oak is already turning Red.

I see quite a few Oaks that are now pale tan/yellow ... due most likely to sudden oak death. Healthy Oaks are their normal dark green. Can't really be mistaken for 'fall color'.

Fields are all golden brown. They won't start greening up until the rains begin.

As noted before, ferns in dry places are bronze-brown, where they get fog-drip, some are still green.

We've been caught up in a fog cycle for the last month in this area ... only getting sunshine for a couple hours a day.

Pampas Grass is in bloom (an invasive weed, but photogenic at times).

Monkey Flower is still in bloom.

As observed earlier, the coast is a series of microclimates, I haven't been north of Gualala in a while.

Some riparian color should be coming along in late September and October....but it's pretty localized on this section of coast.