Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to LF and to this forum

Re: New to LF and to this forum

Real Beauts Sir Rafael, and yes I am referring to both the camera and the pictures. You are indeed on your way, I found when I was starting out the big thing was to make sure that I was both slow and methodical when setting up and taking my shots. There's too much to screw up. But now that I've been practicing for a bit, it does get better. It seems that you however are a careful person because I certainly don't see anything that might be discouraging in your pictures.

I appreciate the encouragement! Now, before ya'all give me too much credit: This is my second try at shooting with this camera. The first try I loaded my sheets emulsion back, and everything was 3 or 4 stops under-exposed! I thought it was my light meter (which had old batteries and was one stop off itself), but read somewhere that loading the emulsion towards the back does this (and it makes a lot of sense, now that I think of it). I was also unaware of the vignetting I have in several shots, as I was not observant enough while composing on my ground glass to notice it - it is the result, in most cases, of extreme rise. Also, while I have a lens hood, the lens itself is big, and I got sun flare in a couple of shots. Live and learn.

On the other hand, there is a shot where I used every movement in my camera in order to stretch the depth-of-field to a picket fence running diagonally in front of my subject, from close left to mid-range right. While I did not succeed in getting the closest pickets in focus, I am pleased that the shot would not have been this sharp with my 35mm or 6x6 equipment. In other words...I am hooked!

LF is exactly what I was wanting to do for years: a more thoughtful way of creating images, where the action of making the image is as gratifying as the result.

LSU Museum of Rural Life, Baton Rouge, LA
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 10-Sep-2006 at 16:23.

Nice images Rafael. Good choice of format too, 5x7 is my most used format. One thought, if you decide you are not only hooked on the format but also 150mm becomes you most favored focal length and you find some spare $$ you may want to look for a lens that has a larger image circle. When I found myself shooting more 5x7 than 4x5 I realized that my 150 Apo Symmar wouldn't cut it and traded it for a Rodenstock Apo Sironar W which gives me plenty of room for movements in 5x7.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 10-Sep-2006 at 18:27.

The APO Sironar S also has good coverage for 5x7, but not quite as good as the W.