Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to LF and to this forum

New to LF and to this forum

Well, as an old MF fan it was a matter of time... while looking in eBay for yet another Rolleicord I found a perfectly beautiful and almost mint 5x7 Korona View wood flatbed with the back extension and a 190mm Wollensak Raptar on an Alphax shutter, complete with 2 Fidelity Elite film holders and several Kodak wooden film holders, a wooden Premo film pack adapter and an additional lens board. The seller had used it and the price was right, so I got it. When it came I couldn't believe how beautiful this piece of wooden technology is! I had my wife sew me a focus cloth and am ready to load some sheets this weekend and go shoot something...anything will do! The only rub is that my sheet developing tank is back-ordered at Adorama so I will have to wait to develop/print. I was thinking that to test for light tightness I may load some 5x7 paper into the holders and shoot to make paper negatives, which I could scan and Photoshop into positives, at least until my tank gets here. Has anyone tried this? Would it work?

I know the Korona doesn't have all the movements the modern cameras have, but it seems to be well thought out, with front rise and tilt, back tilt and swing. I plan to use it for landscapes and architectural shots. Is this a good enough camera to start in LF?

You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: New to LF and to this forum

Welcome to LF and to the forum. Shooting the paper will work. Don't worry about lack of movements, you won't need much for most landscape work.

Welcome to the LF Forum, Raphael, and to LF in general.

IMHO, the best "starter" LF camera is whatever catches your eye enough to make the commitment. Thus, your Korona would appear to be perfect in that respect. Over time, your requirements may change and outstrip the capabilities of the Korona. But, fortunately, adding or even switching cameras is not forbidden.

Since you ar new to lf may I suggest some reading

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that i wrote.

Check your local library. All/any of these will be a good intro text.

View Camera Technique by Strobel is a good long term reference but not a good beginning text.

There are several articles in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site and you can check the archives here as well.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Rafael,

Welcome to the club from Vancouver, BC in Canada!

The trick to your first LF camera is to take it out and shoot some images... have fun doing it. Paper instead of film works... as it does in pinhole cameras.

As for your camera... (LOL) don't worry about the restrictive movements for the time being. The folks here will have you shooting 8x10 and larger in NO time flat!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks for the welcome/ advice! Now, several weeks ago I ordered what I thought, from the title and cover, would be a good book. The Amazon price was right, but it was so popular it was back ordered at Amazon. I received shipment notification this AM:

"The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
    1 Using the View Camera $14.63 1 $14.63

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 31-August-2006).
    "

I think this is Mr. Simmons' book! I have been reading/printing other articles and reviewing my photography books for info on LF. Thanks for the list, I will look the others up.

Thumbs up Re: New to LF and to this forum

Welcome from another new LF-er, in England.
    Just thought I'd second Steve Simmons' book choices - I have both his own book, and the one by Jack Dykinga.
    You will gain a wealth of the knowledge that you need from them. Have fun!

In addition to Steve Simmon's book, consider Leslie Stroebel's View Camera Technique. Both are in my library. Stroebel's is a much more technical book, but useful in a diffferent way.

OK...after many attempts trying to determine the Ilford paper ISO I finally concluded that it was ISO 5, not 500 as the printed information says. Here is a shot, which I reversed using Paint Shop Pro. I forgot paper is orthochromatic...the wheelbarrows are red!

And the 5x7 Korona View, in action: