Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to LF and to this forum

Re: New to LF and to this forum

I've used and enjoyed the Korona cameras--4x5 only though. If you can get the darkroom dark, doing film in a tray is just like paper, except that you can't see what you are doing until the fix stage is finished. set up the trays like for paper--dev, stop, fix, wash... agitate regularly for the full time or use any one of a bunch of other methods, depending on the developer. Ilford has a nice set of instructions online for times and temps. Enjoy, the camera is fine until you decide to do something it won't. then change something. Don't rush, enjoy the trip.
    Michael

I've thought about that. What do you use for a timer in total darkness? I guess I could set the buzzer on my enlarger timer, but the thing will make me jump several inches in the air when it goes off! A second timer set for the total development plus fixing time, and started simultaneously might do the trick for fixing... Any better suggestions?

I will think of this tonight, as I just received my film from J&C...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia
    ........... I plan to use it for landscapes and architectural shots. Is this a good enough camera to start in LF?
    When the shutter opens, there is nothing between the subject and the film except the glass! If the camera is light tight and can hold the film and lens in place, it could be a shoe box and no one would know the difference. I use a 5x7 Linhof and it is really nice but my negatives are no better than when I used a Bender “kit” camera.

As for a timer, I still use a Gralab 300 I’ve used for 25 years. You should be able to pick one up for around $30.00.

Jerome

Funny...I have a Gralab in my darkroom. I don't know the model and am too lazy to run to the basement now, but it's old and the gears/motor make an awful racket, starting with a low pitch that increases, pulsating, until it gets to the top of the scale, then it grinds and starts over. I always thought it was a bad thing...until I tray-processed my first sheet film last night. The sound is the perfect way to time 15 second intervals (one turn of the hand) for agitation! I would wait out two grinding cycles and rock the trays eight times. The negatives came out perfect!

Funny...I have a Gralab in my darkroom. I don't know the model and am too lazy to run to the basement now, but it's old and the gears/motor make an awful racket, starting with a low pitch that increases, pulsating, until it gets to the top of the scale, then it grinds and starts over. I always thought it was a bad thing...until I tray-processed my first sheet film last night. The sound is the perfect way to time 15 second intervals (one turn of the hand) for agitation! I would wait out two grinding cycles and rock the trays eight times. The negatives came out perfect!
    If the model you have works, use it. The Model 300 is about 10” sq., one rotation is a minute and the hands glow in the dark.
    Jerome

Mine is 15 secs, and the hands don't glow. I fixed that by buying a cheap digital with second readout and placing it in a "light tunnel" close to the floor. I can step back from my tray table and look at the face without it affecting my trays.

Just returned from a trip to Baton Rouge, LA, where I shot over 28 5x7's. I will post some later. A couple of my wood holders leaked a bit, but overall I am delighted! Now I need to score a good spot meter to help, as my hand-held Gossen is not good for landscape, except if I average.

Here are a couple of shots... I noticed problems with vignetting due to extreme rise and light leak streaks due to direct sun hitting old wooden holders (that I need to inspect better and light seal). Also some fingerprints and dust on my hasty contact prints (which I edited mostly out of these scans).

Houmas Plantation detail

Houmas Plantation

Museum of Rural Life, LSU

Any constructive advice is welcome!
    Last edited by Rafael Garcia; 9-Sep-2006 at 16:16.

Here are a couple of shots... I noticed problems with vignetting due to extreme rise and light leak streaks due to direct sun hitting old wooden holders (that I need to inspect better and light seal). Also some fingerprints and dust on my hasty contact prints (which I edited mostly out of these scans).

Houmas Plantation detail

Houmas Plantation

Museum of Rural Life, LSU

Any constructive advice is welcome!

Nice, the last pic is quite nice.
    Last edited by SoCal Dave; 9-Sep-2006 at 18:12.

Thanks!

Welcome Rafael,

Beautiful camera and nicely done pic. You're on your way.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Hamley; 10-Sep-2006 at 09:04.