Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Disaster Aftermath

Re: Disaster Aftermath

This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster. When I had a disk crash last year, I lost a lot of scans, but the originals were safely tucked away in their little envelopes. Sure, if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries. And when the technology changes, the originals will still be tucked away their little envelopes.

Having spent 15+ years in data/database management I can understand the time everything goes clunk. In my case it was a 24/7 real-time satelite data system, so I spent many off-hours in/outdoors year-around with the team getting things running. And it's one of the jobs everything goes back to normal after the work, so you don't get the time back, but please find the time to take a break (a nice beach, forest, or ?) and send us a (digital) postcard. You have my respect and admiration for the work. Thanks.

--Scott--

Tell me where to send the money. This forum is very important and we should all support it. I really missed the questions and answers.

Thanks Tom for your efforts.

As a new member and recent purchaser of an used LF camera, the information from this forum has been invaluable. When it came back online I was able to get other questions answered.

Thank you again for so much work in getting this forum back online, and for running such a great forum.

Loren

I agree. with the information that I have received from the forum it's probably saved me a $1000 dollars.

I would be happy to Paypal $10 for the cause.

Loren

It's good to have the site back. Thanks to all whose efforts go to providing this site and fixing it when it goes down.

Good to have the forum up and running again... sure did miss it!

I'd also be glad to PayPal $10 in support of this valuable resource... just let me know where to send it, ok?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace
    This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster [....] if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries.
    If the house burned down, I would recover all of my digital files (except maybe for the last week) from my backup location. Since those files are a large part of how I support myself and my family, it would be a top worry if they would be lost.
    Last edited by QT Luong; 25-Aug-2006 at 12:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace
    This is one of the reasons I am not interested in digital capture. Too much fuss backing up, too much potential for disaster. When I had a disk crash last year, I lost a lot of scans, but the originals were safely tucked away in their little envelopes. Sure, if the house burned down I would be screwed, but in that case, photographs would not be top of the list of worries. And when the technology changes, the originals will still be tucked away their little envelopes.
    Trusting your files to 1 hard drive is asking for trouble. But having a 2nd hard drive to backup everything to is very easy and inexpensive. And running a utlity every night to copy new/changed files to the backup is easy and free. Keeping an additional copy off site is even better. I would much rather do this and know that I have backup copies then trust a single film copy (which can be destoryed by fire, water, mold, pollution, mice,...). Technology change is an incredibly minor issue (and certainly as much of a concern with film as digital). There's always a migration path form old media to new.

Happy the forum is back.
    Many thanks for the hard job you had. And bravo for the success