Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm Looking for Support!

I'm Looking for Support!

I have a Gitzo 1548 with a RRS 55mm ballhead, but my fiance refuses to carry it for more than 10 miles. I could cut my losses on the ring, or but something lighter. I have an Ebony SV45U2 and shoot as long as 450mm. Has anyone tried the new Acratech V2 ballhead? Any thoughts on the Gitzo 1257 legset? Your thoughts are appreciated, pseudonym or not

Re: I'm Looking for Support!

My 'heavy-duty' pod is the Gitzo 1548. I pull it out when I want rock-solid. My 'normal' pod is the Gitzo 1325, but since I prefer independent axis tilt I mount an Arca B2 mounted to it and the 1548. It is significantly lighter than the 1548. My lightweight pod is the 1228 with a Kirk BH3. My feeling is that one would be a tad too light for much more than a 300 on the Ebony fully extended, but would probably be fine for the 450 if I only extended two leg sections.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Eric

I used my Ebony SV45U almost exclusively on a Gitzo 1228 and Acratech ultimate head combination. I frequently used it with a Fujinon 450mm and had no issues. I'd definitely recommend the combination of legset and head as an excellent solution for your needs. I now have a 45SU and don't intend to ever use it on anything else too. I lugged my 1548 with a B2 head around this weekend (no fiance on hand and I won't repeat what my wife would have likely said if I had suggested she carry it) and thought that was a bit much for my 11x14 (I will definitely take the 1348 next time - there is no point in lugging the extra pounds if you don't need it). On the other hand, if your fiances' only complaining has to do with the weight of you tripod and head, you appear to have life more sorted than you think....

Thank you both for your helpful insight.

Jack: I understand that the 1227/1257 lower-leg sections are roughly the same diameter as the next-to-lowest sections of the 1228 and the 1258, hence your appraisal is consistent with Don's. I'm not sure I understand your third sentence, but I'll read it again in the A.M. Are you saying that you swap the B2 between the 1548 and the 1325, and still the 1325 is significantly lighter?

Don: I feel fortunate to have heard from someone who has used the same rig and long lens, and I'm encouraged by your comments. This lighter support might get us through our first year of marriage - after that I understand that I'll be lucky to have her tote this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation (Gitzo G-0012 Tabletop Tripod).

Has anyone handled the V2?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James

Jack: Are you saying that you swap the B2 between the 1548 and the 1325, and still the 1325 is significantly lighter?
    Yes, that is what I meant to say -- sorry for the confusing wording!

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Doug Dolde

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James
    my fiance refuses to carry it for more than 10 miles.
    Now THAT is funny.

I know, I think it's funny too. I mean, what am I suppose to do on a fifteen mile trip - carry it the last five miles! Give me a break.

Last edited by Eric James; 16-Aug-2006 at 00:00.

Change your fiance??

Put this big puppy to work ! Although I prefer the 1325, I don't have any real problems with the 1227, even with a 450.

I have the 1325 and the same size Gitzo tripod in aluminum. My 1325 is DEAD rigid and vibration free, much more rigid than the aluminum one at much less weight. I use an Arca Cube on it (best piece of photo gear I ever bought) and mount my 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 on it....Evan Clarke