Thread: How can I clean the fogging in my 4990

How can I clean the fogging in my 4990

I have been scanning my 4X5 color negatives with an Epson 4990 that I got new about 6 months ago. When I look at the scanner glass it appears to have some haze/fogging on the side of the glass that is internal to the scanner. I clean the side of the glass that is external to the scanner with glass cleaner and a paper towel. I currently am only scanning for display on a monitor so the haze doesn't bother me. I'm concerned that when I get a printer (probably about 16X20) this haze will degrade the printed image.

1. Has anyone else seen this haze on their scanner glass and could it cause a problem with the image?
    2. Is it possible, or advisable, to try to clean the interior side of the glass?
    3. Is glass cleaner and paper towel the best way to clean either side of the glass?

Re: How can I clean the fogging in my 4990

The following is a proceedure given by another member of this forum. I have not yet tried it but I will have to soon. Apparently many 4990s have the same fogging.

The upper part of the housing including the glass plate (from now on called upper frame, for the purpose of this description) is fastened by the two screws down in the holes holding the transparency unit.
    Before proceding, do have a look through the glass plate at the area just behind the button of the power switch, in the front left corner of the scanner. You'll see a little PC board and a connector with a few wires going towards the upper frame because the actual power switch is fastened to and will come off with the upper frame.
    Now, undo the two screws, lift the upper frame at the rear, and slide it slightly forward (about 10 mm) to disengage it at the front side. Now, swing the upper frame to the left, as seen from the front of the scanner, and disconnect the little connector described above. The upper frame is now completely free and can be cleaned using either alcohol or a glass cleaning product.
    Re-assemble in reverse order (don't forget the cable connector).

Re: How can I clean the fogging in my 4990

go to the "dismantling Epson flatbeds for cleaning file" here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Epson_Scanners/files/

It is pretty much the same with all models.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 17-Aug-2006 at 11:32.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"