Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the Toyo 45AII

Re: Thoughts on the Toyo 45AII

Loren:
    The 45 AII is built like a brick s---house. It does everything one could expect and is very solid. It inspires a lot of confidence. The camera will allow you to take every picture that you can imagine within reasonable limits and will take a beating. I imagine my grandchildren will still be able to use it if anyone still makes film then.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

I love my AII but at times I wish it had rear rise/fall. My AII has served me well for 8 years and well over 1000 images. It is a slipery slope though, I now own a 45 AII, D, E(x3), GX, 125 VX, 810 G&M a modified Polaroid MP-3 and a Wista. I am looking for a good deal on a 45CF. I am glad that my wife and kids shoot. When we go on vacation it is 100 Lbs of lugage and 300 Lbs of camera gear. If I had it to do all over again I would seriously look at the Canham but I have no regrets with my Toyo 45 AII. It is a beast, nothing fancy, it just works. It is still my main camera even above my Hasselblad 501 and my RZ67. Toyo is also great to work with for parts and service.

Another aspect of the Toyo you may find handy, Loren, is the modularity of the overall product line. Many of the components of the 45AX/AII, for example, can be used on other Toyo models. So, if your kit expands to include a monorail in the future, such as a Toyo 45C or G, or even an 8x10, you can mix some of the parts to provide greater flexibility.

lazy retired bum

I'd like to make a pitch for the older, plainer Toyo 45A, it does not have a revolving back, a feature I have never needed in the field. The 45A saves weight and operates the same as its more expensive sibling. It happens that I have a 45A for sale, pm me if you're interested, but reagrdless, consider the lighter camera and ask if the revolving back is worth it. I find rear movements essential therefore would shy away from the CF despite its weight advantage.

Eric

Modular design is great. Most of my lenses are on Toyo 110mm boards 3 are on Linhoff for my wife's wista (she likes the pretty wood). With the right adapters I can use 110mm Toyo, Wista/Linhoff, Sinar, Graphic and a couple of others on my rail cameras. Makes for a very versital system (I can borrow lenses). I am looking for a 45 CF for two reasons, weight and for use in wet weather. Other than that the CF has some serious short commings in movement and durability with the main hinge. Don't drop one, they dont take abuse well. The 45 A, AX, and AII are built like tanks.

I have a 45A, bought it used around 2 years ago. I'm very happy with it, used for landscape photography. As I understand, it is almost the same as the 45AII, but doesn't have rubber covered knobs. My 45A does have a revolving back, I find this very useful, less chance of dropping the back if I had to remove it to change orientation. I use it with lenses from 65mm to 210mm, and will soon add a 360mm tele once I adapt a lensboard.

I used to have a 45AII, and the only thing I didn't like about the camera was the single lock on the front standard for rough focus/shift/swing. You had to be extremely careful that you didn't throw the image out of focus when applying swing. It made it difficult to see what you were doing....

Other than that, it was a great camera. A friend now has it, and he uses it faithfully when he shoots 4x5.

I must say that I am truly impressed with the forum and the comments I got back for my question. It feels good that I can buy the Toyo and know it will last.

After reading, I am probably going to buy the AX and save some money for the Quickload system and a lens.

Thanks everybody for giving me confidence for my upcoming purchase.

Cheers,
    Loren

After bidding and losing out to several 45A ebay auctions, I finally landed a very good condition 45Aii Toyo from KEH.

I'm excited to get it and hopefully my Nikon 150mm lens and film arrive in a couple of days. Thanks again for the comments.

Loren