Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Toyo 45AII

Thoughts on the Toyo 45AII

In the near future I plan to buy a large format camera for my landscape work. I've used 35mm and medium format, but want the sharpness that LF brings.

In coming to this camera I compared Metal vs Wood, Weight, and price. I don't mind the extra three pounds over the Tachihara, but I do encounter more wind than not so I wanted to go with metal.

The 45AII has rear movements and a revolving back, but I wanted to get your thoughts on this camera and possibly a comparable competitor. Are there any current owners that have comments on the usage of the camera?

Where I rent they have this camera so I've gotten familiar, but I am still very much a novice.

Your comments are much appreicated..

Loren Crannell
    http://www.lorencrannell.com

Re: Thoughts on the Toyo 45AII

I have a 45AII, and love using the camera. I will be replacing it soon, with another 45AII. I can't think of anything about this camera to complain about, but if you have specific questions, I will be glad to answer them the best I can.

Loren- I have used the AX model for a number of years and have been very satisfied. As you probably know, the AX does not have the revolving back of the AII. The lack of this feature has not been a problem and reversing the back takes about 5 seconds with a little practice. So, if weight or cost are considerations the AX would be an option.

Depending on your choice of lenses, you may find the 13" bellows a bit short. For my way of working they are fine as my longest lens is a 270mm. Of course if you wish to use a longer lens you could consider a telephoto. The shortest lens I use (rarely) is a 90mm which works well. Others may have thoughts if you are considering a shorter focal length. Welcome to large format.

In my opinion the best competitor to the Toyo 45AII is the 45CF: lighter, more front rise and fall, front swing more usable, cheaper.
    On the other hand the 45AII will take 55 and 65mm in recessed lens board (75mm in recessed board is the widest usable on the CF) and it has a brighter ground glass.
    I have been using the AII for 7 years and almost never used rear movements for landscapes.

The Toyo is my favorite 4x5 (I own 2 others). However, don't get your hopes up too high. The quality jump from 35mm to medium-format is huge, but you won't see that repeated when going from MF to LF, unless you are printing bulletin-board sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Marie Solichon
    I have been using the AII for 7 years and almost never used rear movements for landscapes.
    Funny, rear movements are almost all I use.

I own a 45AII and have absolutely no complaints. It's built very well and using it to shoot landscapes that demand average movements, you can't go wrong. As for the revolving back, it's a pretty cool feature, but if you want to save extra weight and money, go for the model with a non-revolving back.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Thanks everybody... I would still encourage more views on the 45AII, but I now have to look at the AX as well.

I'm planning on using the new purchase on a trip to Glacier National Park in September so I have to get practicing and ready to go.

Thanks again for the responses...

Loren

I also have a 45AII, it replaced a Shen-Hao. The camera is great, all the movements I need for landscape photography. I agree with Mr. Teague, I am thinking about another just to have it for a back up. The camera is strong, well build and I think it will serve you well.

Hope it helps.

Gary

My brother has an AII, I have an AX, and a CF that I bought new before getting a nice deal on the AX. Besides the revolving back on the AII that the AX doesn't have, but interchangeable instead and lighter, the AX and CF don't have the foldout cover for the ground glass. That's about $120 add-on if you want it. It is the first add I added to my AX. The CF opens differently than the AX/AII and certainly appears very solid. The instruction manual for the AX is the AII's with an insert page that describes the differences, so they are essentially the same camera except for the two differences mentioned above. I will be selling the CF shortly as new. If interested, send me a message.