Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

Re: Am I a complete loser if.... ?

DrPablo,

Absolutely not. Some thing work better in digital prints some in silver. I go back and forth depending on my mood and the needs of the image. My last big show was mostly ink. The upcoming show is mostly silver.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

i started printing digital b+w when my favorite paper was discontinued. i liked it so much, that when my paper magically reappeared on the market, i didn't go back.

i'm now part of the new breed ... the half-breed. equally disrespected by both digital photographers and traditionalists.

Paulr,

Richard Newman at Calumet calls it "tradigital".
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 14-Aug-2006 at 20:37.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I can't afford a darkroom for sure, since I am a student with a visa, always on the move. I have my 4x5 film developed by labs in NYC and just use whatever scanner I have to scan them. Just for PDA online purpose
    For prints..I don't think I am that into prints right now since I don't own a darkroom. At this stage I am just practicing myself with 4x5. So it doesn't really bother me that I don't have a darkroom.
    And I know at one point in the future, when I have the ability to own a darkroom, I am confident my skill is ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    I bought a refurbished 2200 from Epson for $450 and use Neutral septone NK7 B/W inks from Cone Editions. I am completely satisfied with the results.
    I've been using the PiezoTone inks for three years or so. Excellent prints. The K7s are supposed to be even better but I'm waiting for the selenium version before I switch over to K7.

How can working on the leading edge make you a loser? If anything it makes you a pioneer and visionary ;-)

Bruce Watson

Scott Davis

You know, all the people who are going on about how they don't have a darkroom so they HAVE to use digital for everything post-capture and/or they don't have the budget for a darkroom...
    Try some of the alternative processes, like platinum/palladium, or Kallitype or Van Dyke Brown. Yes, they're not silver, and no, pt/pd isn't CHEAP, but if you can afford to shell out the money for 4x5 film, LF cameras, and lab fees for processing sheet film, well, all the above are within your reach, and you don't need a darkroom to do them in! Get a Jobo film tank and a roller base of some sort- you can process the film in a sink or the bathtub. You can print most alt process prints in room light, since they are primarily UV sensitive. $1000 worth of scanner buys a LOT of pt/pd chemistry, paper, and sheet film. $500 worth of ink cartridges and $500 worth of inkjet paper buys you even more. Also, with pt/pd, at least, once you get over the learning curve, (IMHO faster and less steep than the learning curve for digital printing), most times you get a print worthy of calling a finished print on the first print.

The above is not to say that digital is invalid. It certainly has its place, and when I want to do color, not only is it easier than doing traditional wet darkroom color, it's certainly cheaper for printing one-offs. I'm just saying that if your reason for abandoning traditional wet-darkroom is not that you prefer or need a digital workflow, but that you feel you don't have the space/budget for it, don't limit your vision. Andre Kertesz did all of his early work as contact prints from rollfilm, processed in a family bathroom!

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    I'm now part of the new breed ... the half-breed. equally disrespected by both digital photographers and traditionalists.
    Tell me about it!

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis
    You know, all the people who are going on about how they don't have a darkroom so they HAVE to use digital for everything post-capture and/or they don't have the budget for a darkroom...
    Try some of the alternative processes.
    If I had had sufficent space I would have installed a darkroom and would not have discovered what is possible with digital printing.

I agree that it is not suited to all subjects and of course there is a learning curve.

But the important aspect for me is that I am able to get prints using the Quadtone RIP and septone inks that satisfy me.

I live in a small apartment and have no room for a darkroom--and yet I have a darkroom where I develop film up to 11x14", can enlarge 4x5" and contact print up to 11x14" and I can handcoat albumen paper. I usually don't print larger than 11x14", but I can go to 20x24" with print drums if I want to.

It's not easy, but many fine prints have been made in provisional circumstances. I probably wouldn't have attempted it myself if I hadn't seen the makeshift darkrooms of my East European friends in the late 1980s. It's a question of motivation.

Here's a thread showing darkrooms that range from luxurious to dark/bathrooms like my own, if you're interested in exploring the options--

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10966

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo
    LOL, the analogous post at APUG would be 'Am I a worthless human being if use color film?'
    Oh, there are a few of us color shooters on APUG, but a small minority. But, we are silenty working to convert the masses.