Thread: I need some 10"x10" polycontrast filters.

I need some 10"x10" polycontrast filters.

I'm kicking myself in the butt since I didn't buy a filter set listed with an eBay store a few weeks ago. I thought I had the Chromega color filter system figured out for B&W, but I don't and I want to go with regular B&W filters.
    Contrary to the opinions of some, I believe that below-the-lens filters affect sharpness, so I don't like that alternative.
    B&H did list Ilford Multigrade filters 12x12, but they no longer carry them.

Re: I need some 10"x10" polycontrast filters.

I have used both 'below-the-lens' and 'above-the-negative' variable filters, but I am not in a position where I have made up my mind about sharpness yet.

However, with my old Linhof B&W condenser enlarger, the only place to put the 'above-filter' is on top of the negative holder. One thing to really watch out for is if one gets scratches or fingerprints on the filter since they could come into focus when stopping down the enlarger lens and show up on the print.

Do you want a full set of filters? Or would you be happy with spilt filtering? For spilt filtering all you need is a green and a blue filter. The Rosco lighting filters will handle this just fine and the price is right. Just compare the light curves on the Rosco website.

If you want a full set then I might have a list of the right types to order but I'll have to search for it.

I'll second the split filtering suggestion. I use Lee filters (very similar to Rosco, chosen because they have a local dealer); I use the 100 Spring Yellow and 119 Dark Blue (they didn't have the magenta I wanted -- yellow is the green suggested above plus red to improve the visual brightness; magenta would be blue plus red). I got two sheets of filter, 21x24 inches each, for $14 plus tax and a fifteen mile drive each way to the vendor's shop (they'd have shipped, but at the time I wanted to print, not wait for shipping).

I've been very happy using them under the lens, but they'll work perfectly fine above -- though if you don't have a filter drawer, you'll likely find (as I did) that you can't change filters without moving something enough to create visible doubling of the image on the print.

BTW, Lee also sells CC filters; you could buy CC 10y or 20y and CC 10m or 20m and stack them to make up single-exposure filtration, if desired. For me, though, I like the ability to hit the best contrast directly from a single test print, with strips for yellow exposure and crosswise strips for blue...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Hi guys,

These 10 x 10 filters would fit in my enlarger. Would they allow me to use MG papers with a cold head enlarger.

I used a colour head for years and enjoyed the dial in filter feature.

Earlier this year I bought a used enlarger with a cold head. I have switched back to graded paper using gallerie 2 & 3 as my main papers. If I still need more contrast I used MGFB Warmtone with no filter and if I need even more contrast I use MGFG with no filter.

I've been using Dektol as my main developer.

-Rob
    bigcameraworkshops.com

In a recent issue of Photo Techniques, Howard Bond had an article about using Rosco filters for multigrade printing. He did some extensive experimenation and supplied a chart with compensation times that might be very useful. The gels are inexpensive and readily available. I do believe that Kodak still makes 12x12 MG printing filters as well, which are marketed by Tiffen. I hope this helps.