Thread: Olympic National Park

Olympic National Park

I'm planning to spend three or four days in and around Olympic National Park next week. If anyone has any suggestions as to specific locations for photography in or near the Park I'd like to hear them, also suggestions as to a convenient place to stay (as in "motel" not camping) for photography. And finally, while I'm sure this isn't the ideal time of year from a crowds standpoint, is it totally miserable on weekdays in Olympic or just a pain? I'm also going to be taking a trip to Hells Canyon in late September and if Olympic is like Yosemite this time of year I could switch the two trips.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Olympic National Park

There is alot of stuff here. Lake Crescent is in the northern boundaries of the park along US 101. Also north is Hurricane Ridge (great panoramas but lots of tourists). There are many many excellent trails if you like hiking....Also just outside park boundaries are great dramatic beaches like La Push and Ruby to the northwest, as of course Cape Flattery. As for the misery of tourists you can avoid em by going out early in the day. Nothing even close to Yosemite though. Many of the beaches I have to myself during the week up till nine-thirty or so, and the tide are quite low this time of year to make some shots possible only during the summer. Hope this helps.
    -Also you coulndt ask for better weather this time of year. It's barely hitting the seventies this weekend, sunny, some good clouds. Irritating because I'm sitting with a sprained ankle staring out the window...But if you like moodier, more atmospheric weather you might be better served coming in the autumn.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 12-Aug-2006 at 11:25.

When I visited Olympic, I stayed at Port Angeles, which was close to Hurricane Ridge and was also the terminus for the ferry to Vancouver Island. I actually did a grand loup of Seattle to Olympic National Park to Victoria (totem poles at Thunderbird Park, parliament building, Butchart Gardens) to Vancouver city (Stanley Park, more totem poles) back to Seattle.

Hurricane Ridge is a good morning location with excellent panoramic views of Mount Olympus and the nearby waterways, but as the name signifies it is very windy and a challenge when shooting LF. The Hoh rain forest was my favorite, with wonderful deep green moss hanging from the trees, luxurious ferns and other exotic vegetation, streams, etc. But be sure to take a strong mosquito repellent! (It is easy to distinguish the tourists who did not bring repellent: they got out of their cars, took a few steps, then beat a hasty retreat back to their cars). The beach areas on the western borders of the park are excellent too, although I personally did not have time to visit them during my trip.

You may also want to consider purchasing this: http://www.photographamerica.com/issue09.htm

I visited Olympic in May so I can't comment on how crowded it will be in August.

Depends on what you want to shoot/see. If you're looking for the coast, you could stay in La Push and have access to 1st and 2nd beach (1-2 mile hikes) and Rialto beech, or go up to Lake Ozette and hike to the beach (4 miles). If you're looking for rainforest, you could stay at Lake Quinault and hike up to the Pony Bridge on the S. Fork of the Quinault and take a day trip up to the Ho river rainforest. If you are looking for river shots, there's the Sol Duc and Elwa, both of which have hot springs (one developed/one natural) as rewards for pushing yourself to hike farther. The Hood Canal side of the park is also spectacular (try the Dosewallups river basin). If you're equiped for it, the 20 mile loop up the Sol Duc and across the High Divide is one of the most spectacular spots in the park. The High Divide has the Seven Lakes Basin (actually 8) to the north and the Ho River valley and Mount Olympus to the south. You'll need a bear cannister for your food.
    Last edited by Brian Sims; 12-Aug-2006 at 11:55.

I was there about two years ago at this time of year and stayed one night in Port Angeles (easy drive up to Hurricane Ridge for the dawn) and another two nights at Forks, midway down the western side of the park. Forks is ideal for the Hoh Rainforest, La Push, and pretty much all of the beaches. As for motels, there's a good choice in Port Angeles but only two (if memory serves) in the town of Forks itself.

During the week, there was never much of a problem with crowds. The Hoh Rainforest was the most popular location but even there it was possible to escape the crowds simply by hiking some of the longer trails. The beaches were almost deserted around sunset. I'd imagine it's a different story at weekends, though.
    Last edited by joolsb; 12-Aug-2006 at 12:59.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I do have the Photograph America booklet on Olympic but I've found that series to be a little erratic, some very good some not so good so I wasn't sure about relying totally on it. I'm planning to leave here early Monday or Tuesday and probably stay at least through Friday so at least I won't have weekend crowds.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian,

You've probably discovered this link with pdf maps: http://www.nps.gov/olym/pphtml/maps.html

I've traveled in the park twice:

1) Ho Rain Forest to Olympic Peak and back. The first ~12 miles is flat but scenic rainforest; at around 13 miles you come to a bridge over a gorge and climb from there to the Blue Glacier (and beyond). Backpacker Magazine rated the Ho Rainforest trail one of the 10 best in the world sometime ago (or am I thinking of Yosemite's Mist Trail - maybe they both made the list (it was over a decade ago)).

2) Lake Crescent is beautiful, but watch out for trucks carrying timber if you set your tripod up near the road. The lake is close to the Sol Duc Hot Springs Lodge - nothing to write home about here but it was the starting point for my second trip.

From the Hot Springs you can hike to Sol Duc Falls and then climb steeply to an alpine meadows with great views and serious flora. I did not go to Seven Lake's Basin but I'd bet that it would be well worth your energy! I continued toward the lake at pt. 12 on the park map - now you are perched on a ridge with the alpine meadows behind you and the Ho Rainforest below; if you hike to the Ho River you'll drop steeply and end up near Fairy(?) Meadow. From here you can explore the Ho Valley in either direction. I wouldn't really recommend this entire trip for LFP, but the alpine meadows above Sol Duc would be worth the altitude gain - and you could stay at the Lodge and sooth yourself in the sulfur hot springs after your trip.

Though the lodge was crowded I didn't see anyone on my hike until I got to the Rainforest.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Eric James; 12-Aug-2006 at 13:43.