Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mightaswell add my own plug

mightaswell add my own plug

Well I guess I should have done this as I am fairly old to lurking but relatively new at posting. You all seem friendly enough.

Victor Samou Wong here, hailing from Toronto, Ontario. Currently am a teacher of fine art and media, and biology, and I have been a computer animator and graduate of molecular biology.

Claim to fame include melting my digital camera with DEET. Muskol, industrial strength. Gotta love the realities of the woods up here in Canada. Anyway that might be one reason why I'm fond of my combat graphic.

I started into LF a number of years ago, but put it off for a while until lately where it's come back with quite a vengeance. Almost ready to move onto another camera with more movements as my combat graphic is almost ready for the keep it in a case to admire for future generations stage of life, and I want to develop more as a LFer.

I like carrying my gear in a nice mobile package that I can bike with. I am a new Rodinal addict, someone help me.

Re: mightaswell add my own plug

"DEET or don't" was my motto when traveling in Southern Ontario - even the 100% Muskol stuff wasn't enough on occasion. I remember one trip when the flies were so bad at Buffalo Crag that we ran screaming and drove to Cow Crag; at Cow Crag we stayed long enough to turn around and run back to the car. We found relief at an air conditioned Tim Horton's.

If you get a wooden camera Snuck (aka Victor) you might find that Muskol adds luster and smooths focusing
    Last edited by Eric James; 11-Aug-2006 at 21:15.

Welcome Victor. Interesting combination of fine art and molecular bio.

What film do you use the Rodinal with? Have you tried it with TMX or TMY.

Hi Victor. What do you use to pack your gear in on your bike? I've always wanted to combine the two things but as much as I biff...I'd need armored panniers or something. Anyway, welcome. I like the Ford shots.

Hi Victor,

Welcome to the zoo!

Good to have more Canucks on this forum. I'm in Vancouver, BC.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi Victor, welcome from Hawaii. I made my first trip to Toronto in May for the APUG conference. Beautiful town, I'm looking forward to returning next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James
    "DEET or don't" was my motto when traveling in Southern Ontario - even the 100% Muskol stuff wasn't enough on occasion. If you get a wooden camera Snuck (aka Victor) you might find that Muskol adds luster and smooths focusing
    It's not even Manitoba... where the mosquito is the provincial bird.. yuk yuk yuk. Yeah it was a disaster that DEET was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    What film do you use the Rodinal with? Have you tried it with TMX or TMY.
    I use my film with TriX 320 currently. A proprieter at the Georgetown Camera Exchange sold me a box of fifty out of date for about $30 bucks. I didn't complain. I like the combo, it's lovely. I use it rated EI 200 semi-stand 1:100 anywhere from 30-50 minutes. I'll miss it when the box is finished up.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham
    Hi Victor. What do you use to pack your gear in on your bike? I've always wanted to combine the two things but as much as I biff...I'd need armored panniers or something. Anyway, welcome. I like the Ford shots.
    Usually I don't regale people with how I carry gear in the fear that they'll try the same and get herniated discs. What? You want herniated discs? Ok, here we go.

I usually carry my gear, not on my bike, but on my body using a LowePro ProMag1 AW. The sweetest bag ever made. I can Jam in here my Combat Speed Graphic KE12, 3 lenses, my spot meter, and two grafmatic backs. If you had a smaller camera, which you may very well have, you'll be able to fit more in. Note that the grafmatic backs allow me to travel a great deal lighter than if I were stuck with film holders. The bag, which has since been seceeded by the Promag2 has a nice wide belt for distributing weight to the hips. Important because if the weight is on the hips, it isn't on your back, meaning that you have staying power. The bag is also tall with a slim profile, which gives more maneuverability to your body. The bag takes a beating, mine has been to Africa and back, it's been through minus 30 weather and plus 80 billion degrees weather, it does quite fine. With about an inch of closed cell foam and a plastic plate at the base, it can handle those booboos.

In any case to go biking, I usualy pack the bag as described above, then attach my tripod tp the shoulder strap.

A warm welcome from Florida Victor. Welcome to the LF Community.

Quote Originally Posted by darr
    A warm welcome from Florida Victor. Welcome to the LF Community.
    And as a former Florida resident I can assure you that darr's welcome is very warm indeed at this time of year. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by snuck
    I use my film with TriX 320 currently.

The bag takes a beating, mine has been to Africa and back
    I've heard that TRX and Rodinal is a pleasant, if somewhat grainy combination. I'll try it with TMY. I've read it's not so great, but I like to see for myself, since everyone has a different preferences.

Where have you been in Africa? I've been to South Africa, Lesotho, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Namibia and had a wonderful time. Great photographic potential.