Thread: I'd like to write an article but how do I lay it out?

I'd like to write an article but how do I lay it out?

Or will someone else lay it out for me if I provide text and jpgs? (Tom?)

I have the photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankpe...7594233494284/

And can email the text.

It's about the Razzledog Polaroid 110 Conversion. It is about the camera and avoids any Littmann controversy, I believe...

Only reason I am posting this is to encourage others to write something... (but if you want to edit or delete that is fine).

thanks,
    Frank

Re: I'd like to write an article but how do I lay it out?

I might be able to do a quick little layout for you, Frank. You seem like a decent sort. What sort of format do you need this in? I won't do an html - only because I'm a bit burnt out on that - but I COULD provide you with a pdf that you could do with as you please. Do you have captions at the ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    Or will someone else lay it out for me if I provide text and jpgs? (Tom?)

I have the photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankpe...7594233494284/

And can email the text.

It's about the Razzledog Polaroid 110 Conversion. It is about the camera and avoids any Littmann controversy, I believe...

Only reason I am posting this is to encourage others to write something... (but if you want to edit or delete that is fine).

thanks,
    Frank

My suggestion would be straight, browser-neutral HTML, but what you use to get there is up to you. (If you're familiar with UNIX, fsdb is cool [text editors like ed and vi are for wimps]. ) That way (with plain HTML), you can control the appropriate placement of images and flow of text around them, perhaps even using reduced-size versions with clickable links to larger versions. Then, package it (HTML text and images) in a ZIP file and send it off to Tuan or Tom.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

How do you plan to publish the article, Frank: on-line or submit for magazine publication? I've published 3 articles this year and I generally provide Word file marked with "insert Figure x about here" annotations. The figures I put in separate files. Some magazines have specific format guidelines that need to be followed; otherwise I look at prior editions and copy the general style. The magazine editor then does the final layout. Usually they send it back to me for final review before it goes to press but sometimes I have only a day or 2 to respond.

Daniel Geiger

What is the purpose of this article? Web page, pdf to send to friends, your own brochure, submission to magazine?

I kind of suspect it is about a magazine submission. I only know of submitting text and images separately, and the magazine will lay it out. Depending on the mag, formatting may be pretty strict, or there is a lot of artistic freedom for the layout person. I am unaware of any mags/journals that require you to submit a layed out manuscript. Re image submissions *in general* tif files are requested [occasionally, highest quality jpegs may be acceptable; check with the editor.].

If you want to do your own flyer (whatever ...), rudimentary layout can be done in Word, but it is pretty limited. I use Adobe InDesign (aka Quark killer). If you are in education you get ed-prices (Quark does not do ed-pricing), is part of the Adobe family (think PS-pdf integration) and pretty easy to learn once you read the manual. As it is quite different from text-editors (Word, ...) do take the time to RTFM.

Hope that helps.

No No No - an article for here, this forum, about the razzle dogs cameras.

Jeezum, I make my living as a designer (mostly). Thanks for your offers but yeah, if I needed to make a layout for myself I have the skills. I meant for publishing in largeformatphotography.info...

Why don't you just take one of the existing articles and just swap out the content - and rearrange to your heart's content then? Or am I misunderstanding the question?

ahh, good idea!
    thanks

Doug Dolde

Quit being a lazy bum. Your website indicates you can do this sort of thing very well.

As long as you provide html that works right away so that I don't have to fiddle with it, and the design is not too outlandish, I am happy.