Thread: Josef Sudek † Sept. 15, 1976

Josef Sudek † Sept. 15, 1976

Who am I to write a correct 30th anniversary obituary about this kind, gentle giant of a large format photographer? It would perhaps be more fitting if some of you would offer your thoughts about him and his work —about his influences on you or how his vision might have effected you.

In any case, de^kuji vám, Pan kolega Sudek. For me, you proved that it is not necessary to shout to be heard at the four corners of the earth. You transformed your personal tragedy into visual pleasure for a multitude who may never know of your personal anguish. Not quite a martyr, but surely a master. Rest in peace, and rest assured that you will not be forgotten.

Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 15-Sep-2006 at 18:16.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Josef Sudek † Sept. 15, 1976

Every time I struggle with my ancient plate cameras I try to imagine how much more difficult it would be for a man with only one arm. Yet he not only persevered, but took some of the most amazing pictures I know of.

From the grand vistas of Praha via the cathedral interiors to the small intimate studies in his studio, his pictures are suffused with a feeling of light. I hope I will one day become one tenth as good at capturing that light.

I had a Pilsner Urquell in his memory yesterday. The daylight was gone before I thought to photograph the empty glass...

I celebrated by buying myself a small Sudek print....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen
    I had a Pilsner Urquell in his memory yesterday. The daylight was gone before I thought to photograph the empty glass...
    ... what an excellent reflection, Ole! Hadn't thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    I celebrated by buying myself a small Sudek print....
    You sure know how to make a guy jealous!

When I lived in Prague ('92/'93), I used to frequent a little photo bookstore owned by a man who spoke a bit of English (for those who know Prague, it was near Parizka ulice). He had a whole shoebox-full of individually cut-up 6x6cm contact prints by Sudek. They were mostly underexposed (the contact prints, NOT the film!) and/or faded— apparently recuperated from the trash, or who-knows-where. Nonetheless he was asking $60.per tiny cut-up contact. Inspite of the lousy photographic quality of the throwaways and —what was then, for me— a high price (I was at the time working at Czech wages), I couldn't afford to buy even one. I regret it greatly.

(yes... even with the moral question of whether one should buy prints that the photographer intented to junk.. here, i'm being totally hypocritical because I'm against this, in principle.. but heck.. there I was with a couple hundred Sudek prints in my hands that no-one else in the 'western world' had yet seen... the devil tempted me and, had I had the dough, he would have won!)

Anyway, congrats, Tim. Which image did you buy? (and if it's not being too indiscreet.. I'll bet we all are curious to know how much you paid!)

Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 16-Sep-2006 at 13:18.

In any case, de^kuji vám, Pan kolega Sudek. (Christopher).
    Close enough - the right form would be - Pane kolega Sudek.
    Once when I was in Prague I met him on a street working, without knowing it was him - i observed a man with a LF camera behaving strangely - he had just one arm as I saw then. It was very early in the morning - only later did I read that he used early mornings to avoid car trafic. He had an aura (it seemed to me so) of a man who saw inside him what others couldn't see around them...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS
    Pan kolega Sudek. (Christopher).
    Close enough - the right form would be - Pane kolega Sudek.
    Thanks. Couldn't remember male, female, formal, informal, etc.