Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 210mm Heliar or....

210mm Heliar or....

I am considering adding a 210mm lens to my 4x5 kit for the purposes of portraiture. I already have a 90/150/240 combo of modern glass that I use for landscapes with my Wista DX. However, I'm finding that about half of the shooting I do in 4x5 ends up being portraiture.

My personal tastes in portraiture run towards the ultra shallow DOF, "mojo" sort of vibe. I've used the 150mm (APO Sironar S) wide open with some good results, but I find it a little on the wide angle side for close in work. My 240mm (Fuji A) is also great, but not fast enough for what I'm trying to do. Plus, I don't have the bellows to focus it close enough with my Wista.

So, I'm thinking 210mm as a reasonable focal length compromise, and looking for a faster lens, possibly f/4.5 if possible. The Heliar seems to come up as being the "best" portraiture lens short of a Cooke (which is well out of my price range). Fine folks such as Jim Galli and Chris Perez seem to swear by it.

I guess my question is what alternative lenses I should be looking at, esp for shooting wide open. Jim Galli had mentioned a 190mm Ektar f/4.5, and I've even considered a Commercial Congo 210mm tessar as a cheap option. Or, is the Heliar the way to go? (And anyone have a spare?)

Any guidance would be welcome!

Re: 210mm Heliar or....

I've got a verito 7 1/4 F4 with hood and an adopter to screw on copal #3 It is a great lens and I tend to unscrew the front section to make the focal lenght 2x. I love this lens but if you are interested you can have it for a negotiated price.

Sheldon,

"Or, is the Heliar the way to go? (And anyone have a spare?)"

Yes, the Heliar is the way to go.(and yes, I do have a spare but it's not for sale.)

I have never used a 190/4.5 Ektar but can recommend the 190/4.5 Raptar in Alphax shutter. Easy to find, easy to CLA, easy on the bank book and a very nice look to it, variable by f/stop.

A 210/4.5 Heliar in barrel can have the rear threads re-cut to front-mount onto an Ilex #4 shutter or go whole-hog and have the cells fit into a Copal 3#. Very much easier and cheaper to find one in a Compound shutter.

Have fun with the hunt.

I just would like to repeat what Paul Fitzgerlad wrote - Heliar 210 is just wonderfull and I am sure it would serve you well even though I prefer longer lenses for 4x5 portraiture.

Sometimes you can get them quite cheap on e-bay. I bought mine for less then $100. It was advertised as having haze, I took the risk and it turned out that it just needed little cleanig to be like new.

regards,

Jan

Hi,

the Heliar is a fine lens not only for portrait. But it isn't very soft nor very fast. I've some that are not for sale so I recomand it. The Dallmeyer Pentac is a Heliar-design too and offers more speed and less dof at f2.9. It's a barrel-lens mostly from Royal Air Force surplus and can get cheap. You can't stop it down much but if you want to use f22 or beyond then go for the Heliar.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

A 210mm Heliar should be a drop-in mount in a Compound III shutter, if you can find one.

Another alternative I came across by chance yesterday is the 200mm Soft-focus Congo.

What is the performance/reliability of the older Compound shutters like? I think the expense of putting the Heliar into a Copal 3 would probably put it beyond what I'd want to spend...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

In my experience, the reliability of Compound shutters is nothing short of remarkable. I've used all sizes from III to V, and every single one (five different shutters) have been very precise. None of them have needed cleaning or adjusting yet.

IIRC, some of the early chrome ring Copals with the fine-tooth speed rings were 56mm and would be a direct fit for Compound #3 cells, possibly spacing required. Compounds are excellent shutters though, so if it isn't totaled, just get a CLA.

Steve

I just received three CLA'd Compound shutters of various sizes from Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair. The were shipped to her sticking and unreliable. They returned to me operating like new. And I have a fourth Compound shuttered lens (thanks Bob!) that did not require a CLA that is reliable as anything I've ever used.

I don't know what they would be like under extreme temperature conditions. But for what I use them for (between 40degrees F and 105degrees F) they seem quite reliable.

BTW, one of the shutters that Carol fixed for me is for a beautiful 21cm coated Heliar I have. It's now mounted up and ready to go. The other is for a 15cm uncoated Heliar. Fun times, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N
    What is the performance/reliability of the older Compound shutters like? I think the expense of putting the Heliar into a Copal 3 would probably put it beyond what I'd want to spend...