Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ries J250 Double tilt head

Ries J250 Double tilt head

I am thinking of buying this head to use on gitzo 1325 tripod legs. The only problem for me is that it does not rotate (pan). I have looked through other similiar posts, but they are usually wanting to be able to level and rotate for shooting panoramas. I will not be shooting panoramas and do not need to be able to level my tripod. I level my camera and do not need to be able to pan while keeping the camera level. I simply want the ability to rotate the Ries J250 tripod head so that I don't have to rotate the whole tripod when I want to point the camera a little bit to the left or right. Therefore, I don't need an expensive "panning base". I just need a solid rotating base that can lock tight and have a Ries j250 head put on it. By the way, I am using a lightwieght Phillips compact 8x10. Any suggestions or words of wisdom? Thanks.

Re: Ries J250 Double tilt head

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Shindel
    I am thinking of buying this head to use on gitzo 1325 tripod legs. The only problem for me is that it does not rotate (pan).
    All Ries heads "Pan" as necessary unless I am missing somethign here.

Unscrew the bolt under the base of the tripod mounting plate holding the tripod head in fixed position. Rotate the head to the desired position and screw it in to lock the head in the desired position.

Great company. Top notch products.

Cheers!

I understand what you are saying, but that really means remounting the tripod head which I usually have locked down tight. That method seems pretty impractical even though it is possible. And no, the Ries J250 Head does not have "pan" capabilities. It is meant to be used with a Ries tripod which has the "pan" ability, thus resulting in a head that doesn't need to "pan" when used with the manufacturers tripod, but I want to use it with a Gitzo non-panning tripod. Does anyone know of a good rotating (panning) base for what I need, or should I just look at a different head?

Get a Ries tripod for your Ries head to have the best of both worlds.

All my Ries heads rotate / pan on their Ries tripods.

Can't speak for the Gitzo.

Might be cheaper to go with an older Linhof head or maybe an Arca B1 bal head that does have the pan feature.

If you have the resources, the combination tripod and head are fabulous. Mixing manufacturers has always been problematic for me.

If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I've already addressed this w/my Ries head and my Gitzo 1500. Ries modified my Gitzo with a screw coming up through the tripod to secure the the Ries head, they provided a flat disc which I assumed is made of delrin, which sits flat between the tripod and the Ries head, when you want to pan, you simply loosen the screw securing the camera/head a turn or 2, and pan to whatever position and lock it back down.

With the flat disc, the action is very smooth, and works perfectly.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

"when you want to pan, you simply loosen the screw securing the camera/head a turn or 2"

Do you mean you loosen the screw securing the tripod to the head? Is this something that Ries is aware of and does on a regular basis?

Thanks

I purchased a bogen, I think, I will check, 'adapter' that has basically two plates and a 'ball' type element between that allows me to do exactly what you are looking to do. Move the head without moving the tripod and allows the legs to be in the right position, i.e, not one leg sticking between mine causing me to trip when I am behind the camera. I got it a photomark, Rod Klukas helped me out. I use a ries head on a gitzo tripod. The 'adapter' even has a level on it which is great as I don't have to really work the tripod legs as much to get the camera level. I remember paying around 75 bucks.

Scott,

It's a small world. I was also at photomark a couple of days ago speaking with Rod. I was looking at everything and hadn't really decided on the Ries, so I didn't talk with him about this specifically, but it appears as though I should have. I'm pretty sure I know what Bogen "leveler" you are talking about, but I wasn't aware that it was capable of rotating. I thought it could only tilt 15 degrees in any direction. So are you saying that it also has the ability to rotate (pan)? Does it do a full 360 degrees? Am i correct that it also tilts in any direction? Thanks for the insight Scott.

Just curious. What is your objection to any one of the Ries leg sets for the J250? I use a Philips 8x10 on a J250 double tilt with the leg set that comes in a bag. I think it is a 600, but am not sure.

John Powers