Thread: Epson V7xx scanner mystery: two parts

Epson V7xx scanner mystery: two parts

Posting here because I am at my wits end.

Part 1 -- resolution.

One recent review stated of these units:

“this raises the question of why Epson linked the higher performance optics to scanning only at the 6400 spi setting..”

This leads me to believe that the best optics are selected according to the resolution selected -- and only the 6400 spi setting.

Whereas another review stated:

…one lens is used for reflective scanning up to 4800dpi and this also includes film scanning when the Film Area guide is fitted. The other lens is used for film scanning up to 6400 dpi using the Film holders….”
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...00/page_11.htm

This leads me to believe the best optics are selected according to the type of original selected – and automatically when film holders are detected and for varying resolutions.

Which is the case?

Part 2 -- dmax

One review: “..in this instance, the V700 performed basically the same as the 4990, with a Dmax of 2.25…”

Another review [translated from a French review] “..I compared the 4990 with V700 by putting side by side the images downsampled at 3200dpi for each one. The profit in perceptual clearness and contrast is obvious. Dmax reached is higher (one undoubtedly recovers details in the dark zones), although the two models announce identical Dmax: 4.0….”
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/test-sc...rsus-4990.html

Which is the case?

Any help appreciated!

Re: Epson V7xx scanner mystery: two parts

- lensman -

Also desperately looking for a good and cheap scanner ?

Well - I think that this confusion (which I also share) is a convolution of more aspects like: unit-by-unit variation, what type of the test image was used, WHO did the test, WHAT the given person actually tested - somebody scans the testing targets (last review from Ted Harris in the VC), somebody compares scans of one slide made with different scanners (the review you mentioned).

I am afraid that the only solution is to go and get one and test yourself whether its good for you or not.

MAtus..

Re: Epson V7xx scanner mystery: two parts

>>“this raises the question of why Epson linked the higher performance optics to scanning only at the 6400 spi setting..”<<

This does not appear to be correct.

>>This leads me to believe the best optics are selected according to the type of original selected – and automatically when film holders are detected and for varying resolutions.<<

From what other users and I have observed, the switch depends on what you select in the scanner software setting - film with film holder, film with area guide or reflective scanning. The first one uses the 6400 lens. The other two use the other lens.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com