Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

Right now I use a Wisner 8x10, so I know it's not the best camera. Before that I used a Deardorff 8x10, nice but not the greatest. (Those wingnutty things are too small)
    I have a couple Zone VI's and Wisner 4x5's that students use in my workshops... great value but not the best.
    In my retail outlet I import and sell both the Ebony's and Canham's. I brought in these two lines because..... I liked them best.... owners I talked with had few complaints.... they're well respected lines..... they had a lot to offer... they both make great cameras.
    Of all the cameras I've used or owned my first choice would be an Ebony SV810 in Mahogany. One day I'll sell off the Wisner and make the switch but for now I use the Wisner because it's paid for.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

If money is not a key consideration, and you are looking for an exceptionally crafted, aesthetically awesome camera that is a lot of fun to use, then an Ebony is hard to beat. The key question is which model to go for.

My set up is a bit similar to yours in that I have a primary camera that I use for the majority of my work (originally an Ebony SV45U2, more recently an SV810U), and a smaller, lightweight camera for longer hikes and general fun use (an Ebony RSW45). I originally bought the SV45U2 because I am a long lens person and it was the only 4x5 camera available (excluding 5x7 cameras with reducing backs) capable of supporting the Fuji 600C lens (it could focus this lens at infinity with a standard lensboard, but I bought a two inch extended lensboard to give more room for movements, etc.). However, I subsequently added the 8x10 and now I do all my heavy-duty work (including long lenses) with that camera, so I sold the SV45U2. The SV45U2 was also a relatively heavy 4x5 camera (7 pounds) and was not the best wide-angle choice (needed a wide angle bellows for significant movements, and required reconfiguration in the "wide angle position" for my shorter wide angle lenses), which also played into that decision.

I now have a "gap" in my LF camera lineup where I'd like something more featured than the RSW45, but much smaller and lighter than the 8x10. I'm debating between 4x5 and 5x7, but if I went 4x5 I'd give serious consideration to the non-folding 45SU. In your case, if you look to your Arca to perform long lens work, then you could get by with less extension in a wooden camera, and the 45SU is a dream to use (the non-folding aspect makes set-up and tear-down much quicker, allows a lens to remain installed even when the camera is stowed, and generally encourages frequent use of the camera). If I had to pick the most fun camera in the Ebony line, I would pick the 45SU for those reasons. You can also order a custom version with 30mm more extension (longer flatbed) or made out of Mahogany wood (a bit lighter) if desired. If you need more extension, the SV45U would be my alternative choice. In either case, the asymmetric rear movements add to the joy of using the camera.

The Ebony cameras are just magnificent to look at, which sounds like one of the criteria you are looking for!

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher
    Kirk: Sounds like nirvana LOLOL!

Scott: No heat here -- I understand exactly what you are saying. I have an Arca and want a back-up fun to use camera. I really like the look and feel of wood, so want a wooden field camera just for the fun/nostalgia of using one.

Frank: The Phillips is exceptionally rigid, light and very functional, but is somewhat spartan in its movements and while it is technically wood, the panels are laminate and it wasn't very nostalgic to use
    Cheers,
    If you're looking for fun and nostalgia in a 4x5, while retaining utility, the Shen Hao 45 HZX II is a hard camera to beat. Teakwood, very full-featured with more movements than some monorail cameras, very solid, and inexpensive. I've had mine for five years and knocked it around quite a bit, and it's always come back for more. If budget is less of an issue, a Canham or Zone VI Ultralight. My 8x10 is a Zone VI ultralight, and it is a gem to use, except for the bellows (which are so long that they tend to sag unless radically extended or radically compressed, so you have to remember to hook the loop over the screw on the front standard so they don't sag into the image area). The Ultralight versions of the 4x5 are still available new from Calumet I believe. Probably won't have that bellows issue either. It's a shame the Zone VI 8x10's went out of production - they are a much overlooked and undervalued camera.

I've got a Canham 5x7 wood field, which is also a wonderful camera. all the controls are super smooth, very silky, easy to adjust. The Canham is a bit quirky though in regards to opening and closing it - it takes a bit of getting used to if you've had something else before. It isn't a one-handed operation, like the Shen Hao 4x5 is.

"What I am curious about is whether people choose Ebony because of their RW45 cameras, or one of their SV45 cameras? Mahagony or Ebony wood?"

I had one of each of the SV45s. I first bought the Ti (mahagony) because of its lower weight than the ebony wood. However, it was surprisingly loose and imprecise (surprisingly because I read here and elsewhere that Ebonys were the equal of metal cameras in terms of rigidity and precision). I thought maybe the ebony wood (Te) would be better so I traded in the Ti on a new Te. It wasn't any better than the Ti in those respects, plus I hated the three knob focusing system and the way the lens board mechanism used to get stuck as it was being lowered into the front standard when setting up the camera. The Fresnel screen wasn't particularly good so I had to replace it with a BosScreen at a cost of another $150. And the bag bellows didn't fit properly so that caused me to ruin a bunch of negatives. I had to send the bag bellows back to the factory to get it fixed. Anyhow, after a year of frustration I sold the Te and went back to what I started with and should never have disposed of, a metal Linhof Technika. It is my very humble opinion that Ebonys, at least the two models I owned, are overrated and overpriced.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I am oneof those that is not a fan of the Ebony because,while it is extraordinarly nice to look at I don't find that it offers enough additional functionality over the other woo dfields to justify the much higher price (same for Lotus which no one hs mentioned). Bottom line is that I, like others, prefer the more precise feel of a metal field eventhough they are not as pretty (when I want pretty I bring along my Zone VI). OTOH I have been shooting with a Canham Traditional 57/45 for many years and it is the best of all possible worlds. The Canham is basically a wood box with a metal camera inside.

"I don't find that it offers enough additional functionality over the other woo dfields to justify the much higher price"

Ted

I'm a big fan of the assymetric movements for quick field use - it's additional functionality that no other manufacturer offers in a 4x5 field camera. Though the cost is high, that's just an individual preference. I also think that the Ebony "universal" bellows add a lot of real functionality to a field camera.

That said, I still think that you get a lot of camera for your $600 in a Tachihara....
    Last edited by Don Hutton; 7-Aug-2006 at 14:55.

I've used a Tachihara 4x5 since 1977, and if you can live with the short fixed bellows, it's an fine camera. However, I have worked mainly with a Canham wooden 8x10 since 2000 and can recommend Canham products without hesitation. The 4x5/5x7 is not much larger than a straight 4x5, weighs only six pounds, has a 28 inch bellows, and, IMHO, is every bit as much a thing of beauty as any Ebony. In addition, Keith Canham provides outstanding support for his cameras. If you have any questions, call him. He'll call you back promptly and spend whatever time is needed to answer any questions about his products. I've only needed to talk to him twice, but each time, he made me feel like answering my questions was his most important priority.

Paying a premium (which I admit is quite steep) for a full-featured Ebony buys the following unique features:

- Asymmetric movements. I agree with Don that these are a big deal, and can save quite a bit of time in the field.
    - Universal bellows. This provides enough wide-angle movement for most landscape purposes, although for architectural photography or extreme movements you'll still need a bag bellows.
    - Non-folding design. If you don't need a lot of extension and have room in your pack for such a camera, the non-folding aspect is a real time saver.
    - Separate controls for rise/fall and axis tilt on both standards. It's nice to adjust tilt without worrying about the standard suddenly slipping down.
    - Vertical and horizontal spirit levels are mounted together on the top of the rear standard along with a pivoting mirror, so you can simultaneously monitor both levels while leveling the camera on a ballhead. This is admittedly a tidbit, but a useful one.

Also, on the larger folding Ebony cameras (such as the 8x10) the optional bag bellows is pleated and can be folded with the camera. The bag bellows on my SV810U can accommodate lenses as short as 110mm and as long as 450mm, and I can pack solely the bag bellows for hikes where I know I won't be using longer lenses. I presume the 4x5 cameras operate similarly, but I don't know for sure.

These are all incremental features that make an Ebony camera more fun to use. Whether they are worth the added cash outlay is a personal decision. If one is looking for basic view camera features at the best price, it is hard to beat a Tachi or a Shen-hao, and Canham certainly makes an excellent and highly popular mid-range product. And no wood camera in my experience has matched a metal camera for operational precision, although personally I have not missed this in the field.

My understanding is that the chief difference between the ebony and mahogany wood (aside from weight) is the durability of the finish.

I have an Ebony non-folder (RSW 45) and I used to own the Wisner Technical Field. The Ebony beats the Wisner hands down for stability and non-drift of adjustments. As for the focusing screen, it's not that bad. The Wisner's was worse though before I replaced it with a BossScreen. I've contemplated replacing the one on my Ebony with a Maxwell but it doesn't annoy me so much that it's a high priority item.
    Last edited by Matthew Cordery; 7-Aug-2006 at 16:42.

Wink Re: What is the BEST 4x5 wooden field camera?

The best? Gandolfi.
    The one I own? Nagaoka.
    The best all-round compromise? Linhof Technika (all metal).
    The one that everyone should have in their closet? Crown Graphic.
    The most perfect one? The one that you're going to get sniped out of on ebay.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)