I was browsing at a Barnes & Noble bookstore today and came across a nice book, entitled South with Endurance, Shackelton's Antarctic Expedition 1914-1917, the Photographs of Frank Hurley, by BCL Press. The copyright dates are 2001 & 2004.

The book is full of Hurley's photographs from the Endurance expedition, including some from color plates. There are far more photos than those in the book that accompanied the traveling exhibit of Hurley's photos a few years ago. The reproductions are not the very best, but pretty good.

I find Hurley's ability to make those photographs under conditions of such adversity amazing. I am looking forward to reading the text as well as spending more time with the photos. The Foreward includes some fun information, including the fact that he had three exposures left when the crew was finally rescued (what film management!), and that the crew was impressed with his dedication to photography "to the extent that he would rather take photographs than play football!" There is also a section on his equipment, which should also be interesting.

The book was in the bargain section, and was $12.98.