Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: print exchange questions

print exchange questions

Hi Andrew and fellow participants,
    I have been looking through all the threads on the forum for rules on the print exchange but I can’t find them. I know there has been some discussion but I have not seen anything diffinitive If they have already been posted I apologize for asking but would appreciate it if you could point me towards them. If they have not here are some questions I have.
    1. What size print? (my vote would be up to 17x22 unless it is to difficult or cost prohibitive)
    2. can the print be color or Black and White? (my vote would be both)
    3. mat, rc or both? (My vote would be any material the artist chose)
    4. format? (my vote film only, 4x5 or larger format)
    5. Should the work be signed? (my vote would be optional)
    6. What information about the print should be included and how should it be include? (my vote would be the camera used and size, the film used, the lens used, approximate date, if available aperture and shutter speed, the location of the image, method of development, If scanned what scanner, if digitally printed what printer and if a rip was used which one and what paper the image is printed on)
    7. 1 image printed 20 times?
    8. deadline to submit?
    9. where to send?
    10. how should the prints be packaged? ( my vote would be the box the paper used to make the prints came in)

I am sure I missed somthing?
    jb

Re: print exchange questions

Maybe I'm getting old blind. But I can't see anywhere it says whether the prints should be mounted or unmounted? And should I send 19 copies of the same image? 19 different images? Mix and match?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

In one of the many threads it says ~"unmounted to reduce cost".

I assumed it was 19X one image - HDC and Andrew had an exchange recently that suggested 20 copies were necessary. Maybe this is true but I don't need Andrew to mail back my own print

The size limit is also specified somewhere as 11X14 or smaller.

Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    In one of the many threads it says ~"unmounted to reduce cost".

I assumed it was 19X one image - HDC and Andrew had an exchange recently that suggested 20 copies were necessary. Maybe this is true but I don't need Andrew to mail back my own print

The size limit is also specified somewhere as 11X14 or smaller.

Cheers,
    Eric
    Hi Eric,

You're spot on... I don't need to have my own print sent back to me either!

It's a group of 40 divided by 2. That means 20 people in each group to exchange prints. Therefore, all you really need is 19 prints...

I believe it was 11x14 or smaller... unmounted.

B&W or Color was deemed acceptable.

Likewise for RC I believe. Andrew?

As for signage on the print... I think that's also an individual matter and some people will sign their submission while others won't. I'll most likely be signing mine. As for information... that's likely something that people can choose to do, or not. I'll have to see if I can dig up the info on my print.

And, IIRC, it should be done with a lf camera.

Deadline: January 31, 2007. Prints must be in, on or before this date.

The Print:

Only prints from large format negatives (4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14...) contacts, enlargements.
    All silver prints must be on fibre.
    digital prints from LF negs are fine.
    Alternative processes accepted too.

I think there's also the need to send Andrew US$20.00 for shipping costs? Andrew?

And, everybody send Andrew a LARGE cup of Timmie's coffee even though better can be had at that little place called "A!" Eh?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's prints...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

HDC and Andrew had an exchange recently that suggested 20 copies were necessary
    Sorry for the confusion. The rules were posted back a couple of weeks ago.
    There are 20 in your group. You make one for each person in your group (19 prints).
    You then package them and send to me.

The Rules:

RC, fibre, digital, b/w, colour, alt. processes are all accepted.
    an LF camera must have been used (4x5 and up)
    prints no bigger than 11x14, unmounted.
    Signed or unsigned...up to you.
    Provide information about the gear used (camera, lens, filter, particular camera movements), information about the negative (film used, developer, etc) and info about the making of the print.

Sending:

Carefully package them in a bubble wrap type envelope. Also include info about the image (there is always a story behind it...include technical stuff too, 'cause this is a learning thing). I would like to recycle the bubble wrap envelopes and send prints back to you.
    Also include your mailing address on your info sheet.
    I will also need a bit of $$ to cover postage. Anywhere between $15-$20US should cover it, but I'll give you a better idea later. Last time some participants included a prepaid fed ex envelope ( I think it was fed ex...) If you want to go that route, that's fine.

Deadline:

January 31, 2007. Prints must be in, on or before this date.
    I will then send out to everyone soon after this date.

I want to communicate through email everyone but I am still waiting for a few people to email me their contact info:

Gary Smith
    Rider
    Brian Sims
    Mark Sampson

Guys, I need to hear from you. I need your email addresses...

Thanks!

Sh#t! Capocheny beat me to it...but I still need to hear from those four participants.
    Hey Capocheny, are you going to be able to get away this Saturday for a shoot up at Ashcroft?

Was interested but the RC thing is a real downer. No one printing fine work uses RC papers because they just.......... don't........... last. Why invite trouble by letting this plastic junk in?

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    And, everybody send Andrew a LARGE cup of Timmie's coffee even though better can be had at that little place called "A!" Eh?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's prints...

Cheers
    My Timmie's offering is on the way - I hope the postal employees along the way read the "this end up" label because I wasn't able to plug the drink hole (duct tape wouldn't stick - WHAT IS IN THAT STUFF that melts duct tape adhesive?).

Was interested but the RC thing is a real downer. No one printing fine work uses RC papers because they just.......... don't........... last. Why invite trouble by letting this plastic junk in?
    Can't please everybody. I personally don't use it. I agree with you that it's no good and I can't understand why anyone would go to the trouble to lug around an expensive LF camera and lenses, spend lots of money on LF film and then make the print (which is what it's all about) on cheap RC paper...but, some people are learning on the stuff, so why not let them in so they can see the beauty of fibre? Hopefully this print exchange will convince the RC users to use fibre...