Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Technika GG Protector

Re: Technika GG Protector

"to remove it, you swing it open and then disengage the pegs. rather than removing it altogether and having to deal with finding a clean, dry place to put it down, i was suggesting simply swinging it open and leaving it attached to the camera when i want to view the gg"

It's next to impossible, at the very least cumbersome, to try to use a darkcloth with the hood/protector swung out to the side when making a horizontal photograph. It's a little easier to leave the hood/protector on the camera when making a vertical photograph because then it drops down rather than sticking out to the side but it still tends to get in the way. Take it off, set it on your backpack which presumably is at or near your feet and which hopefully is a clean and dry place.

"to protect the GG in any Linhof, just fashion a snug piece of foam core. It it light, easy to remove, and totally protects the GG during transport."

Well let's see. I own a $500 metal and leather ground glass protector that came with my camera. It fits the camera perfectly, it's simple to remove and replace, and it's strong enough to protect the ground glass against anything short of a direct hit from a gun shot. Oh yes, in bright enough light I can also use it to roughly compose a photograph and then there's the clip on it that I can use to hold my dark slide when the slide is removed from the holder. But I'm not going to use that. No, instead I'm going to cut up a piece of foam core and lay it upside the ground glass and use that as a ground glass protector. I'm sorry if I seem dense but could you explain to me what advantage you're gaining by using a piece of foam core instead of the metal and leather protector Linhof has designed for the purpose and that you already have?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ahh, I agree with Brian 99% of the time but I would never bother to remove the focus panel. I am paranoid about kicking it or setting it in a cow pie.

Just leave the fancy BTZX super darkcloth at home and use an old black t-shirt or your jacket. Stretch it over the swinging focusing hood assembly. pinch the bottom the darkcloth shut with one hand, move and adjust the camera with the other...

You're not watching the SuperBowl on the groundglass. It ain't a 44" Sony Flat Panel... the idea is that you use the focusing hood for rough composition, then switch to a dark cloth of some kind to use a loupe on the focus points and to fine tune with camera movements. You don't need to sit and study the ground glass for minutes at a time - just hold the dark cloth in place and get the shot done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    I'm sorry if I seem dense but could you explain to me what advantage you're gaining by using a piece of foam core instead of the metal and leather protector Linhof has designed for the purpose and that you already have?
    Advantage? None, unless the Linhof doesn't have one to begin with. I'm simply responding to the original poster's requests for ideas, nothing more. It is not my take to criticize him for his request for information. I for one don't like focusing hoods, prefering instead the old reliable dark cloth (however, if you have a spare Linhof focusing hood lying around and are in generous mood then by all means send it to me to add to my collection of Linhof cameras!). Perhaps this poster is simply obsessed with weight reduction. For me that is a legitimate enough reason.

not weight savings, fellas. this question was more because i find the 'window' afforded by the open focusing hood to be somewhat truncated. furthermore, it is tough to use my stubby loupe with it. swinging it out of the way when i need to will work just fine for me.

thanks for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg
    to remove it, you swing it open and then disengage the pegs. rather than removing it altogether and having to deal with finding a clean, dry place to put it down, i was suggesting simply swinging it open and leaving it attached to the camera when i want to view the gg.
    Scott - I just pop the cover off in about 2 seconds, and place it in the backpack when I had the camera body. Reinstallation is the reverse.

But isn't this exactly what you would do with a GG protector? Would you toss the GG protector on the ground or something and not worry about it getting dirty, or would you toss it in the backback like you can do with your Linhof cover?

I never use the hood in the Linhof cover, I always remove it and use a dark cloth.
    Last edited by Kirk Keyes; 2-Aug-2006 at 10:29.

Calumet sells a universal ground glass protector which is a U shaped piece of plastic. One side slides into the film plane and the other covers the users side of the ground glass. very simple, light weight but not so cheap (around $25) but replacement ground glass isn't so cheap either; especially in the field!!.

Scott,

As mentioned, there is also the Wista Hood Lupe. It is less expensive than the Horseman. I can not remember if I bought my Wista Hood Lupe while I had had my Linhof Super Technika IV or when I replaced it with my Linhof Technikardan 45S. By the way, I use the Canham Ground Glass protector with my Technikardan, but if I needed to lighten the load even more, I could put a piece of closed cell foam or foam core over the GG. To lighten the load of my lupe however, for much of my work, I may use the Horizon 4X Lupe which I found has exceedingly good optics for usage as a GG Lupe.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

How did this thread go (so quickly) from groundglass protection, to loupes?

Scott, how about making your own? Using either 1/16" or 1/8" aircraft plywood, cut two pieces that will cover the glass while also clearing obstructions. Make these pieces long enough to extend beyond the end of the camera's back when fully inserted. Then cut a piece of hardwood, thick enough to space the two plywood bits the correct amount. Glue and tack the pieces together, and voila!

My apologies (in advance) for what follows: an attempt at ASCII artwork that (I hope) the forum engine might render as intended:

===========================================================...<--Plywood
    --------------------------------------\.........-----------
    ...Groundglass Back of Camera ........ ----\....|.........|...<--Hardwood
    --------------------------------------------....-----------
    ===========================================================...<--Plywood
    ......................................................^
    .......................................................\
    .........................................................---------Glue Together

Scott:

I understand your desire to not deal with the viewing hood.

I used to have a Linhof Bi-Kardan with the right angle finder (still have it) & although it's easy & quick to remove the question is where to put it unless leaving it swung out of the way.

I picked up a beater viewing bellows years ago that had been redone with blue courderoy fabric that was in tatters. I removed the fabric & threw it out but still have the frame & loupe.

I no longer have a Linhof so ...

What I'm going to suggest is that I could refit the insert frame with a piece of black leather to face the groundglass for protection & on the inside of the frame place black walnut & stain or leave be & finish w/varnish/etc.

Then you could simply swing out but not have the fold out viewing hood or you could simply remove -

Let me know if interested - not looking for any money so to speak - a print would be nice as you do great work

lee, thanks for the compliment... pm sent.