Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technika GG Protector

Re: Technika GG Protector

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    You don't swing it out of the way, you just remove it.
    to remove it, you swing it open and then disengage the pegs. rather than removing it altogether and having to deal with finding a clean, dry place to put it down, i was suggesting simply swinging it open and leaving it attached to the camera when i want to view the gg.

ted, thanks for the horseman 6x suggestion... i'll check into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    "I'm new to the camera, but taking the protector on and off is wearing the gg frame."

How can it possibly be "wearing the gg frame?" It's designed to be removed and replaced, that's why it has that little retracting peg and those two little holes that the pegs fit into. I've owned two Technikas for a combined total of about seven years, I've removed and replaced the hood hundreds, maybe thousands, of times without any wear or damage to the frame.
    This camera was bought used, but the holes are chipped around the opening. Perhaps the previous owner wasn't very careful. The leather is wrinkled and gathers the opening to be smaller than it should be. Other than that the camera is perfect. Finding a place to store the cover is a nusance. I had NO idea a replacement costs so much.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy
    I had NO idea a replacement costs so much.

Bob
    the correct way to pronounce 'Linhof' is 'CHA-CHING!'

$125 for a Horseman 6x Long Loupe... WOW! i think i'll stick to my plan of swinging it out of the way.

Scott, I believe you can buy them for $75 in like new condition from Jim at Midwest.

The folding hood, fresnel, and a floppy wide-brimmed hat are actually not a bad combination. I like it for working fast in the city so I can see what's happening around me, and it saves having to carry a darkcloth in wilderness settings. I use the Toyo loupe with the folding hood, and swing the hood out of the way to check the corners, using the hat to shade the focusing screen. If I'm unsure about vignetting, I'll remove the whole focusing panel to check the iris from the corners. I also have the zoom finder as an additional check for framing, when it's hard to see the edges of the groundglass.

ted, they are listed at $125 on mpex.com. maybe i'll call jim and see if he has a gently used on laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg
    $125 for a Horseman 6x Long Loupe... WOW! i think i'll stick to my plan of swinging it out of the way.

Scott,

Look on the bay... I bought mine for $46.00 in brand new condition. And, FWIW, it's a great loupe. I prefer it to the Toyo and the Sylvestri and the Fuji and the Schneider and...

It use to be that you wouldn't see this loupe all that often on the bay but, nowadays, it seems to come on more frequently.

Good luck.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg

Scott,

Look on the bay... I bought mine for $46.00 in brand new condition. And, FWIW, it's a great loupe. I prefer it to the Toyo and the Sylvestri and the Fujinon and the Schneider and...

It use to be that you wouldn't see this loupe all that often on the bay but, nowadays, it seems to come on more frequently. Just be patient... you'll get one sooner or later!

Good luck.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

to protect the GG in any Linhof, just fashion a snug piece of foam core. It it light, easy to remove, and totally protects the GG during transport. If you have baggy pockets, stick the 4x5 piece of foamcore in there. Otherwise, find a slot somewhere in your camera bag to put it when you are using the GG. I did this in Ireland with my Technikardan and it worked like a charm.

Option: dry mount a neutral gray film or cardboard to one side and you'll have a handy gray card to boot.