Thread: Coated 10 3/4 Dagors?

Coated 10 3/4 Dagors?

I've been looking for a late 10 3/4 coated Dagor, possibly even a Gold Dot, although I don't know if such a thing exists. Are the 10 3/4's generally hard to find, or does Jim Galli have them all in Tonopah and he's not telling me? Any idea what this lens will cover? Thank you...Phil.

Clay

Re: Coated 10 3/4 Dagors?

I have one. I sold an earlier one to Will Whitaker and regretted it later, so I tracked down another. It will cover 7x17 (and 11x14) with a bit of movement. They are scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Valley Phil
    I've been looking for a late 10 3/4 coated Dagor, possibly even a Gold Dot, although I don't know if such a thing exists. Are the 10 3/4's generally hard to find, or does Jim Galli have them all in Tonopah and he's not telling me? Any idea what this lens will cover? Thank you...Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Valley Phil
    Phil,

Look for one with a serial number of 770xxx or higher. Coverage should be about 87 degrees at f45. This will give it an image circle of about 518mm - enough for 7x17 with a bit left over for movements.

Kerry

Better yet, I have one with f/7.7. Uncoated but better coverage.

Hugo

I'm innocent. I've got one junker in barrel that I'm going to ebay soon but it's not what you're looking for Phil. Wait a minute. Where'd I put the 1/8th inch drill bit and the can of gold paint?

My three Dagors (120mm, 6", 8.25") are coated. I'd like a 10 3/4" to complete the set. Is there much difference between coated and uncoated?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Clive Russ just put a 16 1/2" dagor( and a coated one at that) on the auction site. It looks like a really nice one too. I have an uncoated one I bought off of him a couple of years ago and it lives on my 8x20. Great lens.

A Dagor-oid 270 G Claron might be easier to find. Hey, they're coated too!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have used an uncoated 10 3/4" Dagor, as well as five other Dagors for at least 25 years.

Yes, there is some difference in coated and uncoated, however that is easily taken care of with a good lens shade and a slight increase in development time.

Although I obviously like the lens very much, I am amazed at the prices they are bringing when they appear for sale. I saw one sell for $675 recently and the shutter needed CLA. As I remember I paid about $175 when I bought mine. Think I'll keep it but it may be time to send the shutter to Carol for overhaul.

Jim