Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Colorado and Wyoming

Suggestions for Colorado and Wyoming

Hello everyone, I've planned a trip to Colorado and Wyoming for September. We will be doing a road trip starting in Denver, crossing the Rockies to the Colorado National Monument just outside Grand Junction, then up to Dinosaur NP, through Flaming Gorge NRA, to the Tetons and Yellowstone, then diagnolly across Wyoming through the Wind River Range to Cheyenne, down to Rocky Mountain NP, and back to Denver. It seems like a lot but we have three weeks so the pace won't be too bad. I'm planning to spend the biggest chunk of time in Yellowstone, about 6-7 days.

Though I am generally familiar with most of the areas we are going to, I was wondering if anyone could provide some guidance on good photographic opportunities or even travel/logistical tips. I will most likely be dragging around two camera systems: An Ebony 4x5 for landscapes and a Contax 645 for wildlife.

Thanks for your input.

Stephen

Re: Suggestions for Colorado and Wyoming

It sounds like you're hitting all the top spots. There are, however, rather long barren regions in Wyoming that aren't very photographically interesting. I'm sad to say I live in one of them.
    Have a great trip!

Take along a scotch-brite pad. Its the only thing I know that really cuts through accumulated bugs on the windshield.

Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson
    It sounds like you're hitting all the top spots. There are, however, rather long barren regions in Wyoming that aren't very photographically interesting. I'm sad to say I live in one of them.
    Have a great trip!
    Not photographically interesting to you, maybe. Don't write them off for someone else. Personally I'd rather take my camera exploring on a desolate stretch of I-80 than to take yet another picture of the tetons from the glacier gulch scenic turnout!

After you live here long enough, photos of miles and miles of sagebrush and grass will become very uninteresting. Still, I would rather live here than anywhere else.

There is a pass going through the "Never Summer" area, from Laramie (I think) to Walden, Co. which I found to be really nice countryside. From Walden, Hahn's Peak isn't far, niether is Steamboat Springs. Warning:very early one morning I overheated my brakes(and I don't 'ride' my brakes---ever) coming down that pass and blew right through Walden----I couldn't stop! On the far side of town I finally was able to downshift and turn 'er around and chugged back into town for breakfast and to let the brakes cool off. BTW the Smokehouse in Steamboat Springs has great brisket, the VFW is the place to drink beer on a saturday night to get away from the tourist crowd. The James Brown Memorial Stockbridge isn't all its cracked up to be though. For some reason I don't understand, Chinese food seems to taste better in ski towns than in other places in Colorado. YMMV of course.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Almost forgot, catch a Kip Attaway performance if theres one in Jackson Hole when you're passing through!

If you like to photograph architecture, you ought to take a look at the new addition to the Denver Art Museum, designed by Daniel Libeskind. While you are there, check out Camera Obscura Gallery, just around the corner. It is an amazing place to see and buy (if you have serious $$$) prints from the "greats."

On your way back from RMNP to Denver, take the back way down the Peak to Peak Highway (State Highway 119) through Nederland. I suggest going south of Nederland a couple of miles to Highway 72 and taking that east to Golden. It is less traveled than the major routes and very lovely. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, and feel free to stop by Denver Darkroom (http://www.denverdarkroom.com) to visit our little school and community darkroom.

If you are going to do Yellowstone, then by all means stop by Bozeman MT -- cute town, somewhat artsy, definitely hip. Plenty of valleys and forest and and mountain lakes and trout streams/rivers nearby.

Here is a shot I did usig my Technikardan of Bridger Canyon (east of Bozeman) when the Bitterroots were on fire and the sky was literally a shade of lavender.

Anyway, the whole area is wonderful and full of wicked-awesome cliché and non-cliché photo subjects.

Hi Stephen. The great thing about Wyoming is that it is full of very scenic areas that are off the beaten path and largely unknown to most out-of-state photographers. I live in Laramie and have easy access to 2 such areas: the Snowy Range (45 minutes west of town on Highway 130) and Vedauwoo (20 minutes east of town on I-80). September is a good time to shoot here because of the perfect weather, fall colors, and occasional snowfall. Here is a link to some Wyoming pictures, most of which were taken at these two spots:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=555996

If you're interested in learning more or making travel plans, let me know!