Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisner Camera Factory?

Re: Wisner Camera Factory?

Well I sent an e mail 4 days ago and no response......which is what I expected, my only comment is that if I buy a "used" camera, (mine was bought by another person from Wisner, never used it and sold it to me with the warranty cards) from Canham or Philips, I get an answer and help from them, from Wisner I did not even get an "I am too busy with prior sales to help you" response.....ah well, I am sure my machinist will be able to make the part for me.

Well, I received the response today.... will keep you all informed about the outcome of this....

Well folks, it seems that Ron Wisner is making a legitimate effort to correct things on his end. I have corresponded with him about my camera, he asked me for some pictures, he explained to me what I would need to do once he sent the part and explained that if he did not have the part in stock he would need to make one and would take a few weeks. He did not ask for any money in advance and in fact offered to ship the part at his expense.

If things continue this way then I think the Wisner company will still be around for a good time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro
    Well folks, it seems that Ron Wisner is making a legitimate effort to correct things on his end. I have corresponded with him about my camera, he asked me for some pictures, he explained to me what I would need to do once he sent the part and explained that if he did not have the part in stock he would need to make one and would take a few weeks. He did not ask for any money in advance and in fact offered to ship the part at his expense.

If things continue this way then I think the Wisner company will still be around for a good time to come.
    Great news Jorge. John at J&C announcing serious expansions within his photography business and Ron being proactive and cleaning up old commitments. Could it get any better? Pinch me to make sure that I am not dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak
    Could it get any better? Pinch me to make sure that I am not dreaming.
    didn't I see a thread on APUG about the guy that makes all the Lisco, Riteway, Fidelity etc filmholders retiring and shutting up shop... :-(
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Jorge, were I you, I'd have a backup plan with Richard Ritter. He can make anything you need, and I'll bet he'll be more responsive than Mr. Wisner.

That said, Richard is taking three weeks off from repairs to build his ULFs - he tells me he's got pretty much all the parts in-house now. I saw an assembled black anodized chassis with the carbon fiber tubing the other day, and it's quite...well...sexy. The stacks of backs and other wood were less sexy, but still impressive. We're going to make a Video Owners Manual that he'll include with each camera, demonstrating how to set it up and use it. Richard says he'll be ready to shoot by next week. I have to get him to talk about the finer points of his engineering. He's done some terrific things to keep it sturdy, light, and simple.

Good luck with Ron. The world would truly be a better place if he finally got his act together.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    didn't I see a thread on APUG about the guy that makes all the Lisco, Riteway, Fidelity etc filmholders retiring and shutting up shop... :-(
    I read that post as well and IMHO it is simply a little background noise. If he closed his doors tomorrow nothing would change one bit. When the re-sellers received sufficient calls for holders the problem will solve itself via simple supply and demand. Plus there are literaly thousands of used holders out there in the used market as well as Toyo which I prefer anyway.

Furthermore, I suspect that the full story has not been articulated. Drawing adverse conclusions from snippets of incomplete information is difficult and I am surely not running to the mail order houses to make my order.

If he owns the business that makes the film holders and has not contemplated a succession plan or selling the business heading into retirement either he has run the business into the ground or something else is going on.

Smile. Things are very good for all of us.

Cheers!

Bruce, I would love to have Richard work on the camera but shipping it back and forth from Mexico is not an option. I had to pay $400 for shipping it here and another $200 in import taxes. As it is the camera has no flaws other than the few I mentioned before, I managed to solve the stability problem and now I need this part to prevent future problems.

Having said that, Mr. Wisner has been very responsive to my e mails, some getting a response within minutes of being sent. Lets give the guy a chance to repair his reputation, at least for now he is not asking for money in advance and seems commited to try and do a good job, it is all we can ask at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow
    Jorge, were I you, I'd have a backup plan with Richard Ritter. He can make anything you need, and I'll bet he'll be more responsive than Mr. Wisner.

That said, Richard is taking three weeks off from repairs to build his ULFs - he tells me he's got pretty much all the parts in-house now. I saw an assembled black anodized chassis with the carbon fiber tubing the other day, and it's quite...well...sexy. The stacks of backs and other wood were less sexy, but still impressive. We're going to make a Video Owners Manual that he'll include with each camera, demonstrating how to set it up and use it. Richard says he'll be ready to shoot by next week. I have to get him to talk about the finer points of his engineering. He's done some terrific things to keep it sturdy, light, and simple.

Good luck with Ron. The world would truly be a better place if he finally got his act together.

Let me add that several months ago I sold my 7x7 Wisner. It needed a relatively minor repair before it was ready to be sold. I contacted Ron and sent him the part that needed the fix. He took care of it very quickly and shipped it back to me. My only cost was shipping the part to him, which was nominal. Sounds like he's on the right track... Keep it up!
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Right track? I hope so. The ground glass covers I've been waiting on for 2 yrs were suppose to be shipped a couple of weeks ago according to Ron via recent emails. I've seen nothing yet, just more emails saying he's been traveling and he will check with Marie. But he assures me they are done. UPS must be having trouble with their shipments...Yep that must be it.