Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ColorNeg: NegPos successor for colour neg scanning

Re: ColorNeg: NegPos successor for colour neg scanning

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lookingbill View Post
    BTW, have you tried getting a 16bit linear scan using the Epson's scan driver that produces tiffs ColorNeg does well with?

I'ld like to not have to purchase an additional piece of software like Vuescan on top of purchasing ColorNeg just to get a linear scan if I can avoid it.
    I have not been able to find any information on getting a linear scan from Epson software. I don't think it's possible... Epson always manipulates the image as far as I can tell. There is more information about using Vuescan on the CF website

http://www.c-f-systems.com/Scanners.html#Epson

with absolutely no mention of the Epson software.

I finally did a few scans and posted them here:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00MRuZ

ColorNeg adjustments are a lot better than what I can do in Nikon Scan. I don't have Silverfast and, at $400 for the Nikon 9000 version, I will not be buying it in the future. Over all, the $67 I spent for the C-F Systems plug-ins was a fantastic deal.

I also tried the invert filter in Photoshop. The results were dreadful!

I've had good success with the CF System COlorNeg plug-in. But I also have color darkroom experience, so using CC filters is second nature.

I've started a Flickr user group to share tips and tricks here:

http://flickr.com/groups/977912@N23/

Since this thread still seems to get a fair amount of traffic, (noted in the referral logs on my website) I thought I would post a follow-up on my use of ColorNeg. I have been shooting color film for the last six months or so (I previously used ColorNeg for B&W only, as odd as that sounds), and I have gotten pretty familiar with the software. Here are some of my latest color photographs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daltonr...tags/colorneg/

It took me a little while to really figure out what the software does, but I feel like I have a pretty solid workflow going now. It beats the pants off the results I have been able to get straight from Vuescan, NikonScan, or Silverfast.

I use Fuji Pro 160S, but I have found that the best preset to start from is Ektacolor. Sometimes if I am not happy with any of the presets, I go into the Film Data slider and find something close. It is usually a good start.

I then manipulate the lightness, color adjust, and shadow settings independently to get exactly what I want. Shadows seems to be hugely important - all of my photos were coming out with a magenta cast until I learned how to fine-tune the shadows, which erased it completely.

The image I get from of ColorNeg is then almost completely neutral. I use some basic curves, hue/saturation, color balance, and occasionally photo filters in Photoshop to get exactly what I want.

This image in particular is an example that was giving me a lot of trouble until I learned to use ColorNeg properly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daltonr...28383/sizes/o/

Previous versions of the image had a strong magenta/purple cast that I could not get rid of. It's still challenging, it's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement over previous versions.

Regards,
    Dalton

Dalton, thanks for the update.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know