Thread: scanned negs and ACR

Scott Hannaford

scanned negs and ACR

Just wondering what you guys do when scanning mono negs. I'm scanning mine in on the slide film setting, and inverting in PS as it seems to give better results than letting the scanner flip the image.
    However, here's my question, do you guys invert in photoshop and then do the RAW edits? Is there a way to invert the negative image in ACR so I don't have to go into PS first?
    Interested to hear how others get around this.
    Thanks,
    Scott

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: scanned negs and ACR

inverting the image is a very straight forward mathematical operation, it just reverses the value curve of each channel. One program shouldn't really do it any different than another, as far as I know. Maybe it's something else that you are seeing, any additional contrast that the scanning program is adding?

But anyway, to answer your direct question about inverting in ACR, go to the "tone curve", and drag the bottom point all the way up, and the top point all the way down, and delete the points inbetween the two (if there are any).

That *should* invert the image just the same way as in photoshop (either by curves, levels, or "invert", or whatever other ways there are), I can't imagine there being any different effect by using any of the other ways of inverting, or other programs for that matter. But, I guess it's always possible that some other program adds it's own twist to the invert process, heh
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Scott Hannaford

Re: scanned negs and ACR

Ah, didn't think of doing it that way, just another example of why I should get a bit more serious about using curves properly Anyway, solves my issue perfectly, so thanks for reminding me of that one.