Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Overdone Cliche Subjects

Re: Overdone Cliche Subjects

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    You want to see stuff thats IMHO definately NOT cliche? http://korchenko.com/index.htm

OK its B&W with lots o' cemetary stuff, but it dosen't come across as cliche to me.

Maybe I'm wierd.
    His Artist Statement is interesting; definitely not full of clichés. I copy here for others to read because he uses frames and no direct link available:

--

Artist’s Statement

Presented photographs were shot in 1987 – 1993 with old wooden large format cameras ranging in format from 9x12cm (4x5”) to 18x24cm (8x10”) plus recent material on 35mm film. The photographs were not intended for a publication or any specific show. They were for, say, internal use. In an attempt to revitalize the spirit, which drove the creation of the old large format pictures, and approaching it in a logical and systematical way I summarized my method in numbered points:

1. Avoid making photographs if you can.

2. Use old large format cameras from the beginning of the 20th century. My favorite is Globus 5x7” by Ernemann in Dresden from 1910s.

3. Use as old film or glass plates as possible. Most negatives were made on Soviet Svema film which expired in 1978. I still have the stock of it.

4. Never ever use a lightmeter.

5. Do not carry a tripod – it’s too heavy. Use stones, stumps, trash bins.

6. Never count exposure time in seconds. Shutter is not necessary at all. I count an exposure by a time of another process I involved in while exposing the film. On the presented photographs it varies from a ‘sip of cognac’ to ‘three glasses of wine’.

7. Always have a little bit of light in the room when cutting or loading film (because it’s good to see what you are doing).

8. Do not hurry to develop a film after the shot. Let it mature in the film holder for 1 – 2 years, – also helps to avoid shooting new stuff, because keeps film holders stuck with old stuff in (see point 1).

9. Do not measure temperature of the solutions and time of the development. What’s the use of measuring it after the exposure time was so uncertain (see point 6)?

10. No red light in the dark room. Just leave the paper in the developer.

11. Do not mix developer and fixer (I had to write it down because I had problems with that). Mixing of old and fresh or of film and paper developers is highly recommended. Smell a developer to determine if it is good enough.

12. If a picture did not work out after following the method consistently that means you were not worth it.

... from Victor Korchenko Photography, Artist Statement

I think his statement is "Tongue in cheek" and is a direct poke at a pedantic approach to photography in the belief that adopting "standards" will produce a better quality result. The point being that, an unsharp, poorly exposed, badly processed image is perfectly capable of conveying the intended message. However, given that, I wonder why he makes a virtue of using large format unless it was to show that the old school didn't give a stuff about "fine technique" and still managed to produce excellent results? Now where did I put my 35mm system?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by darr
    1. Avoid making photographs if you can.
    #1 is my favorite.

That being said, a quick flip through his site revealed a number of offences deemed punishable by this thread, including, but not limited to: cala lillies, dunes, mountain streams blurred with slow shutter speeds, and landscapes-with-babe.

Mr. Korchenko is probably wondering why the hit rate for his site just skyrocketed

Whenever I think that a subject has been completely explored, I'll see that rare photograph that can make the subject fresh again. There are certain subjects that tend to attract uninspired photographs, but let us not blame the subject.

multiplex

.... might as well not take photographs of anything

Girls in bikinis on cars. I like girls. I like cars. But the natural setting for a bikini clad girl is not the hood of a 66 Mustang! Bikini-beach. Car-road. Get it right. Even a girl sans bikini looks silly on the hood of a car.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

... but a lot more "appropriate" in the back seat?

Since I,ve photographed just about everything thats been mentioned, does this make me a clicheographer? : )
    BRhttp://www.brianreedphotography.com

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by brian reed
    Since I,ve photographed just about everything thats been mentioned, does this make me a clicheographer? : )
    you are a brave man to ask!