Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refridgerating chemicals: Does it make them last longer?

Refridgerating chemicals: Does it make them last longer?

Hello, all. I'm new to this forum and have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I did a forum search, but didn't find this issue specifically addressed.

Everyone knows film maintains its design characteristics longer if refridgerated, but what about chemicals? Is the shelf life of a full bottle of Xtol stock longer if refridgerated? Will it last one year? Two years? More?

Since I'm planning to experiment with a few new developers, it's unlikely that I will use them all before the end of their published shelf life. I have enough using up one developer before it's too old to use.

Any thoughts?

-Dave

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Refridgerating chemicals: Does it make them last longer?

I think it would probably help. Though in some cases the cold might cause some chemicals to precipitate out of solution. Especially if you're working with any liquid concentrates or formulas with barely soluble components (like phenidone).

Think twice about using coke bottles, salad dressing bottles, etc.

Well I read Ansel Adams Polaroid book, and He says Type 55's shelf life can be extended when in the fridge, and from what I understand is its the chemicals in those pods that go bad first.Just a thought fwiw

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger
    Hello, all. I'm new to this forum and have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I did a forum search, but didn't find this issue specifically addressed.

Everyone knows film maintains its design characteristics longer if refridgerated, but what about chemicals? Is the shelf life of a full bottle of Xtol stock longer if refridgerated? Will it last one year? Two years? More?

Since I'm planning to experiment with a few new developers, it's unlikely that I will use them all before the end of their published shelf life. I have enough using up one developer before it's too old to use.

Any thoughts?

-Dave

if they are powdered chemicals then it shouldn't do any harm providing they are fully sealed and air tight. But if they air and light tight, they shouldn't need to be in the freezer anyway. With liquids there are two problems. Firstly expansion can explode bottles when freezing and secondly, precipitation and or crystalization of chemicals which may or may not go back into solution when you unfreeze the liquid.

I wouldn't put any chemicals in close proximity to food, no matter how well packaged and labelled.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    I think it would probably help. Though in some cases the cold might cause some chemicals to precipitate out of solution. Especially if you're working with any liquid concentrates or formulas with barely soluble components (like phenidone).
    Uh-oh... From what I've read, Xtol is a phenidone/ascorbic acid developer. Guess I could put a liter of it in the refer and see if anything precipitates out. It would be visible, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by paulr
    Think twice about using coke bottles, salad dressing bottles, etc.
    Who knows. It might make for a nice Ceasar salad...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall
    I wouldn't put any chemicals in close proximity to food, no matter how well packaged and labelled.
    I have a dedicated refer for film. It has a lot of extra space for chemicals, though.

Quote Originally Posted by robc
    if they are powdered chemicals then it shouldn't do any harm providing they are fully sealed and air tight. But if they air and light tight, they shouldn't need to be in the freezer anyway. With liquids there are two problems. Firstly expansion can explode bottles when freezing and secondly, precipitation and or crystalization of chemicals which may or may not go back into solution when you unfreeze the liquid.

I'm talking about having to mix 5 liters of Xtol stock at a time and using it kinda slowly (I'm not a prolific shooter). The data sheet on xtol is a little ambiguous about shelf life, apparently because of complaints from customers. I'd just like to be confident that it would last for more than six months and I thought refridgerating it might help. I have no plans to freeze it.

most mixed chemical stock lasts for upto six months if its kept in full and tightly sealed bottles. However, if you are using that little then I would buy smaller pack sizes. Don't they make a 1 litre pack?

If not then mix and decant to 5 one litre bottles and keeping them in the fridge will help to prolong the life. Make sure the bottles are full right to the very top so that there is no air in top of bottle. If there has to be air in top of bottle, then use some of the canned inert gas to top up the bottles and drive out oxygen. Its better to have them really full. Make sure the bottles you use are truly air tight. Glass is best.

There are various techniques to keep chemicals fresh. The biggest threats are heat and light. Putting the stuff in the fridge helps slow the deterioration, but not too cold. Most of the plastic bottles sold by photo stores are permeable to air so they're not great for long term storage. Glass bottles are great but can break, and to make sure that they're always filled to the top, you can put marbles in them to keep the liquid level high. There's an easier way: pop or soda bottles. They're designed to be impermeable to gas, they're cheap as heck, they can be squeezed to keep excess air out. The only problem is light so keep them somehwere dark like the inside of a cool fridge...
    But the best bet is to use up the stuff and mix a new batch!
    Last edited by cyrus; 28-Jul-2006 at 16:51.