Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call me Ishmael

Re: Call me Ishmael

Welcome to the group Ishmael. When your dad joined and mentioned that his son used a Linhof Technika I posted a message expressing hope that you'd join. I'm glad you have.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Welcome Ishmael, you are getting started in photography at a good point in your life. I got my first camera when I was your age, a Pentax 35mm, but it took me many years before I experienced the fun and excitement of large format.

By the way, you have the same scanner that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis
    Welcome to the group Ishmael. When your dad joined and mentioned that his son used a Linhof Technika I posted a message expressing hope that you'd join. I'm glad you have.
    My father told me that you were asking him for me to come to the forum. Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Carl

Ishmael,

Welcome to the club of Technika III users. I hope you will have great fun using it. I bought my own version back in 1991 and have not looked back. Used it during the first 10 years with its original non-Graflok back. Put in a Graflok back thereafter (easily done).

You will enjoy using that camera hand held. I would suggest buying a 6.8 90 mm Angulon for that purpose (cheap lense!!!). Try also to find a Linhof viewer of the same vintage for hand held shooting. Well worth the price (the oldest are the best and cheapest).

Once you have put in a Graflok back I would suggest you get hold of (i) a Horseman 6x12 back and (ii) a Grafmatic holder (holds 6 sheets of 4x5 film for quick shooting). But take your time and buy things as you can afford (birthday and Xmas gifts to be bought on ebay).

Feel free to e-mail me anytime on pecularities of that camera. I love it and have taken many excellent pictures with it.

Enjoy the camera!!!!

Emil
    Last edited by Emil Ems; 24-Jul-2006 at 09:10.

Schoene Gruesse, Ishmael.
    I am glad that you have joined us. The observations that you have on the LF workings will be of interest to us all. Most of us are much older and the experiences that you have can give us a new perspective on the field. Wilkommen und viel Erfolg...
    Michael