Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call me Ishmael

Call me Ishmael

I am thirteen years old and I now live in Thuringia in Germany. I have been photographing since I have been 6 years old. I started whith a little Porst pocket camera, then used an Olympus OM-T1 and a Pentacon Six. Since 2005, I photograph with a Linhof Technika III. I especially like all the movements and the resulution of the film format. Since my birthday, I can scan the negatives with an Epson 4990 scanner. Soon, I will be able to post my pictures on a website.
    I am glad to have found this forum.

Greetings, Carl

Re: Call me Ishmael

Thirteen years old and a large format user! Thats`s impressive! Welcome Ishmael.

Herzlich wilkommen Carl,
    it's not only amazing you are working with a Tech III at age 13, it's also amazing you have the parents to support you in this. I'm sure my dad would not have gotten me a Tech III for my birthday. But what also suprised me is a 13 yo quoting the first lines of Moby Dick....in English. Don't tell us you've read that at your age. The technical whalehunting language of the period is hard enough for a grown up, let alone someone your age. I stranded halfway through the book, got completely entangled in the description of ships, tools, implements, ropes, sails, nets etc. Am still hoping to finish it one day, though.

Hello Ishmael,

Welcome to the club...

Do you realize you're the second person to join this forum from Thuringia in the past couple of days? It's nice to see that large format photography is thriving in Germany!

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Hello Ishmael,

Welcome to the club...

Do you realize you're the second person to join this forum from Thuringia in the past couple of days? It's nice to see that large format photography is thriving in Germany!

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers
    H.D.C, don't tell me it has escaped your notice 'Ishmael' is the son of the other Thuringian.

You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Guten Tag Carl!

Your story is an interesting one. I spent two years teaching high school (11 & 12 grade in US) geometry and pre-calculus (and photo electives) and I also have a teenage son and none of my experiences with the youth has spawned a large format shooter! Please update us when your website has some photos as I would love to look at your perspective. I think it is wonderful that your folks have encouraged you to express yourself photographically and with the large format process. Welcome to the LF Community.

PS: I am a female so do excuse any motherly type of stuff I may give as I cannot help it!

Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Herzlich wilkommen Carl,
    it's not only amazing you are working with a Tech III at age 13, it's also amazing you have the parents to support you in this. I'm sure my dad would not have gotten me a Tech III for my birthday. But what also suprised me is a 13 yo quoting the first lines of Moby Dick....in English. Don't tell us you've read that at your age. The technical whalehunting language of the period is hard enough for a grown up, let alone someone your age. I stranded halfway through the book, got completely entangled in the description of ships, tools, implements, ropes, sails, nets etc. Am still hoping to finish it one day, though.

Ishmael, welcome to our living room. There are always interesting and informative discussions going on here, and we are glad to have you join us.

~cj

www.chrisjordan.com

Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    H.D.C, don't tell me it has escaped your notice 'Ishmael' is the son of the other Thuringian.
    Hello Norm,

Ha! Yes, it did... but then, it WAS posted at 3:00 in the morning!

Thanks Tim...

I've gotta get MORE sleep!

Cheers
    Last edited by Capocheny; 23-Jul-2006 at 12:28.
    Life in the fast lane!