Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your "walk around" camera

Re: Your "walk around" camera

My Nikon D70 is my walk-around camera these days. Just too darn convenient: I can immediately edit, email or print the images without any lab or scanner hassle. It's also used for Ebay photos and other various photo tasks around the house. A jack of all trades.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Sounds like what most of you have are schlepp-around cameras. A MF camera for a handy carry-along? My feeling is that if it needs a backpack to haul it, it is no longer a fun, quick carryaround. I'm using a Leica D Lux 2.

Leica MP with Tri-X. Small, Quiet.

The Treo 650 phone seems almost as good as a Lomo to me. Seriously. That and the Nikon D70 with a small prime 35/2. The P&S digicams are too comprised and the D70 isn't that much harder to carry.

I still stash my Olympus XA and Stylus in the glove or bottom of the suitcase. And the Crown Graphic stays in the back of the car, ready to use.

Mostly it's a Leica IIIc with a collapsible Industar-50. It usually has Fuji Superia Xtra 400 color film in it.

Often a Nikon FM with one or two lenses. Sometimes a Yashica GT for questionable neighborhoods. Occaissionally one of my folder cameras, either a 6x4.5 or more likely a 6x9. I have also put an SX-70 and a 250 Automatic to the walk-around status. Basically, with fifteen cameras and many more lenses, I probably have too many choices, but I usually try to have a camera on me. There was a time briefly that I only picked up a camera when I was getting paid for it, but then I decided that I needed to work on portfolio shots and keep practicing.

I have thought that either a 4x5 walk-around camera, or maybe a panorama camera might be nicer. Most of the areas I walk-around are urban city zones, so I would hate to attract too much attention by having an unusual camera, or a tripod.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    <http://www.allgstudio.com>

Typically Canon's 2mp PowerShot or one of old 35mm RFs (Konica, Retina, etc.). Recently bought a 6x6 folding camera and find it a good (and fun) walk-around camera--light, small, quiet, etc. I wish those came with faster (~f 2) lenses (or did they?).

K1000 with 50mm F2 and FP4+ or Yashica 124 and Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach
    A Rollei 35T or S is as near-perfect as I've got
    Helen
    Yep, it is what I used to carry and still have. The little camera is perfect! But since I only use it to document sites I want to return to photograph with the LF I have found out my phone camera works great for this, and I can record a comment with it.....I see no need to carry a walk around anymore.

>>Small digital cameras just can't compete with small film cameras in low light.

Is this some sort of typo? I can get decent images by single candlelight with a p&x digicam, which would require quite a bit of fuss to attempt with film.