Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your "walk around" camera

Your "walk around" camera

I suppose that many large format photographers also have the habit of keeping a camera handy as they go about their ordinary days, What sort of camera do you carry around? ANd how much film do you consume with it? What sort of things do you photograph?

Personally I carry a medium format range-finder. I use up about 2 rolls of 120 B&W every weekend, and perhaps 1 role during the course of the week. My shots are mostly of my daily commute but that's getting repetitious and boring (though I did walk by a fire department and finally managed to get a good shot of the fire truck) Of course, I actually have a wonderful and spectacular commute compared to most other people due to the location of my office (pass by the Brooklyn Bridge etc) but after 5 yaers I've grown habituated to the NYC scenery and I am often surprised at the things that my out-of-town friends consider to be neat. So to break the monotony I am thinking of changing cameras to something fun- like one of them Lomos with the fisheye lenses
    Last edited by cyrus; 22-Jul-2006 at 23:41.

Re: Your "walk around" camera

My walk around camera is a Nikon N80, loaded as always with Fuji Velvia. I also keep a little Canon A510 P&S in my backpack.

My walk around is an Xpan but today I did a nice walk with my Hasselblad 503 and 40mm lens.

Voigtlander Perkeo II, a folding 6x6 viewfinder camera with a shoe-mount rangefinder, usually loaded with Tri-X.

Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 23-Jul-2006 at 00:38.

My walk around camera is a Mamiya C220 with the 55mm lens fitted. It could be loaded with HP5 or Provia 400. If I shoot anything interesting that would benefit from re shooting with 4x5, I'll revisit.

Currently I am using a Bronica ETRSi, with three lenses, which I keep in a backpack. THe Mamiya 645 Pro stays at home most of the . THough I have a Mamiya 220 to use in a hurry when the mood strikes me.

Gary

Very often a Bessa L with a 25mm , sometimes a Bronica ETRs with a 75mm, both fed with Tri-X. But I got bit by the Polaroid bug last week, so I`ll probably use that a lot now

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Sometimes a Bessa-L with a 21mm, sometimes any one of several old MF folders. And occasionally a Voigtländer Bergheil - either a 6.5x9 or a 9x12, either one with Heliar lens.

Zorki-4k with collapsible Industar-50

Usually I have a bulk roll of Ilford Pan F+ 50, everything turns out soft with huge tonal range. like here:

I'd like to carry round my Rolleicord but its twice as big and (as heavy as) the zorki. (links are straight out of my rangefinder forum gallery, hope they dont mind hotlinking)

After 40 years of keeping a Minox in my pocket, I've switched to a Minolta Xt (3 MP digital, slips in my shirt pocket). I've used it more in the last two years than the previous 40 put together. How much film? I don't need no stinkin' film. Nor wait months or weeks to develop before the roll is finished, either. Shoot it today, print it tonight!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)